I'm in love!! (And Questions)

I dl'd the demo earlier today and I've played against the cpu twice, Reisberg (Draw-sneaky cpu flanked me and took back an undefended vp location.) and Last Defence (Total Victory). I love this game! I honestly can't say enough and kudos to all involved, you guys are doing phenominal work and I'm salivating over the final version.

The 'Last Defence' was a blast, but then I got really lucky. The Hellcats showed up and 2 of them, from their start location torched a STG-III and a HT apiece. The third Hellcat tried to smoke the Tiger but the Tiger promptly moved and a neat little gun battle developed. I raced the Hellcats off the hill and while one was flying for cover behind a building just past the bridge, while moving, killed the Tiger from the front. After that it was a turkey shoot.

Now my questions. I looked through the forum and read the online manual, and I couldn't find the answers.

1. What do the little icons on the unit information box mean? There's a little, radio, maybe, that sometimes has a red cross-out on it. Does this indicate C&C? What is the lightning bolt and the question mark?

2. Do units like 60mm mortars and bazooka teams have fire power besides their main weapon?

3. Will AP have any effect on infantry? I run out of HE for my tanks and force them to fire AP (Use main gun Y/N.)?

4. I think my first game answered this one but will prisoners become enemy again if not in close proximity of friendly units? I guess I mean, do they have to be guarded?

5. Are there mines in this game (The demo)? In the Reisberg scenario I lost a Sherman within about 2 minutes of starting. I didn't check to see if that nasty 88 on the hill killed him. Also, the Sherman info box said 'Abandoned', I tried to get the crew to remount and I was unsucessful.

6. What effect does 'low ammo' have. I noticed that you can force these units to fire by directly targeting an enemy for them. Under what circumstances do they fire on their own?

7. I noticed a strange occurance in the 'Last Defence' scenario. I had my .50 cal target a German HT, range about 400 meters. Now I know the .50 cal is quite capable of killing a HT, but could this guy shoot. I didn't actually watch him, but in one turn he killed 3 HT's that were so clustered together they overlapped. I don't know if he fired 3 bursts, or if somehow he hit a mid point and the results applied to all three. Needless to say, I bought that crew a beer after the battle.

Anyways, thanks in advance for the info. Again, Battlefront, I love you guys.

Welcome aboard civdiv. I'll try to answer your questions while BTS is enjoying their turkeys smile.gif

1 - the radio shows if the unit in question is in or out of command. You need to keep your units close to a platoon, company or battalion HQ unit to gain benefit from C&C.

The other symbols you mention (there are actually four), show leadership abiities of the HQ unit. If you select an HQ unit and hit ENTER, you will see a detailed info screen which describes what the symbols mean.

2 - Yes, but only after they abandoned their maing weapon. And they only have pistols, so are not really worth much on the offense. Besides that, they cost a lot of points when you lose them, so it's better to move them to the rear (or even off map) asap once they lost their mortar.

3 - AP can kill infantry, but is MUCH less effective than HE.

4 - Yes, you have to guard POWs. In the demo, I think, you have to be VERY careful not lose them out of LOS. This has been toned down for the full version a little.

5 - I don't recall if there are mines in the demo, but there are mines in the full game. Three types of mines are available, AP, AT and so called "daisy chain", which are hastily laid mines, visible to the enemy (used not to kill but to prevent certain approaches).

6 - "Low" ammo means that this unit will shoot largely in self-preservation only OR if there is a really really good target. They will also shoot way less (rarely more often than once per turn) and the firepower is reduces as well.

7 - The .50 cal is indeed deadly against halftracks that move a little too close smile.gif

Moon,

Thanks for your quick reply.

1. What is the difference between 'abandoned' and 'knocked out'? I assume not because I couldn't do it but can/will crews remount 'abandoned' vehicles?.

2. Is there an actual numerical FP reduction for 'low' ammo units?

Welcome aboard civdiv, you got exactly the same initial impressions as me smile.gif (not that mine's changed). One thing to remember about Tanks is do not drive into tree's they can get demobilized if unlucky, the same could happen with the muddy areas of the map (darker areas you'll find them).

I read the online manual for the first time too yesterday got a little clearer picture of BTS aims and goals. Must say I agree to most of what was said.

PS. I just discovered how much faster the tanks can move on roads.

This is a plot to deprive me of sleep. I'm active duty USMC and I haven't done anything but eat 1 meal, sleep, and play CM since last night. No PT, no studying (I'm in a pretty intensive military school), nothing but CM. How about another scenario, call it a Thanksgiving present. And then maybe a Christmas present, and Hanukkah, and New Years, and Valentines.....?

Guest Big Time Software

Oh great, now we have to add a third disclaimer to Combat Mission:

"Not responsible for breakups in relations with significant other"

"Not responsible for poor grades in school"

and now...

"Not responsible for reduced combat readiness of national defense forces for any nation" smile.gif

Glad to have you around civdiv smile.gif Moon got those answers 100% correct, so I'll not add anything more.

Steve