Problem with mines

I have been playing the Road to Montebourg campaign. There is a mission in it in which there is prepared defense which has some mines. There is one particular minefield which I could not clear.

This made me curious so I replicated the problem in a test scenario. It seems that sometimes when you add mines to a scenario they all get added at the edge of the map. (Don't know what circumstances -- sometimes they don't.) If you add enough mines, there are not enough map-edge action spots for all the mines. Then they start stacking (2 or more minefields in one action spot), which you cannot otherwise do.

When there are stacked minefields, there are several problems that one can run into.

First, stacked minefields are unmarkable. Even when all have been found, engineers can mark one of the minefields, but not the other(s).

Second, about half the time when they find the first of two stacked minefields, engineers cannot mark the action spot -- I am guessing they don't know of the markable field.

Third, when 2+ fields are known in an action spot, and one has been cleared, the mark mines command is still available. You can plot it, but it completes immediately and does not work. It just wastes a turn.