Target arc recomnendations.

Apart from the obvious and much requested Armour only target arc for tracked vehicles, i would like to see a Foot units only target arc to stop infantry from revealing their positions to tanks with relatively futile pot shots at the unbuttoned tank commander, and a Wheeled vehicles only target arc to stop tanks and AT guns from revealing themselves by shooting at Jeeps and AC's, ambushing is an essential part of any combat simulator and it is totally compromised as long as there is no way to tell your units what to fire at and what not to.

"Armor only" arc from CM1 is good enough for me.

I have found that almost everything else can be handled by a short/small arc until you are ready to arc JUST the target area you want.

I have found that with proper arc management, even overlapped targets are usually engaged in the proper manner by the proper unit.

Ex. 88 ATG is arced to about 5 degrees and 900 meters AFTER a tank is spotted at 800 meters. Infantry show up in the arc at 400 meters. My 88 will almost always engage the tank first.

For me, defensive arcs are for prevention of fire more than anything else. I usually don't take a defensive unit off its 20 meter arc until I KNOW it can SEE the target type I want it to kill.

Arcing into an area that the enemy is "sure" to traverse "soon" will bring Mr. Murphy out almost every time. A scout team, Jeep or some other useless target will wander into your arc just before the real target does. Just don't do it, and you will smile more I promise.

Any enemy tank commander that places his unit close enough to trigger ANY reasonable infantry arc(<200 meters range) should die to the zook/schrek that should be right there as well. If there is no personal AT, then shorten the arcs accordingly.

Arcs are there to help control what NOT to shoot imho. Too many would make it too easy. :)

---- Late Edit - -

I would like to see one addition to our choices though...

MG "Fire Lane" command. - Parallel LOF instead of arc-shaped.

Agree target armor arc is needed for AT units. The Inf only arc sounds nice too to keep them from opening up on tanks. One other feature from CMx1 which I would like to see return is the LOS tool working in the arc tool. My BIGGEST request which BF knows is the eye candy killer is a much more subtle arc graphic.

Arcs are there to help control what NOT to shoot imho. Too many would make it too easy. :)

---- Late Edit - -

I would like to see one addition to our choices though...

MG "Fire Lane" command. - Parallel LOF instead of arc-shaped.

I agree and use all of the tactics you mentioned with fire arcs. I have close arcs or "keyhole" arcs for anything that is not actively engaging a target or any area that I don't want to pour fire into even when a scout unit just pops its head into it.

However, I think this is basically just making the "Best Use" of the tools that are available. It would be great to have a couple additional arc options for added realism:

- Armor Arc

- Infantry Only Arc

- Different Arc Shapes

These would be the most desired tools.

I've seen bazooka/shreck teams endowed with Cover Arcs let infantry pass then open up on following armor. Maybe the existing implementation of CAs is more intelligent than we give BFC credit for.

Yeah ... and I've also seen them NOT let the infantry pass and instead break cover. More arc options would provide a sure-fire way of having them follow your plan.

I've seen bazooka/shreck teams endowed with Cover Arcs let infantry pass then open up on following armor. Maybe the existing implementation of CAs is more intelligent than we give BFC credit for.

And i've had tanks blow their cover because they shot at infantry crossing the road i was covering.