Graphics frustrations with radeon 6630m

Hi guys, just wondering if anyone else on the forum is playing CMBN with an ATI Radeon 6630m (1 gig) graphics card? I just bought a new laptop last week which comes with the foresaid card and reasonable specs - 4gig ram and an Intel i5 processor - but CMBN is running much worse than I expected it to. I have to set 3D settings to fast and turn off antialais to get any sort of reasonable performance. I find this all the more disappointing because up until now I have been playing CMBN with my wifes 3year old mac laptop which only has a 256mb graphics card and less ram, but the game runs far better on higher settings on her machine!

Im considering returning the laptop and exchanging it for a Dell XPS with similar specs to the one I have, the main difference being it has a Nvidia GT 525 graphics card. Does anyone out there running CMBN on a Nvidia GT 525 have any feedback they give me?

One other thing I've also found that large parts of the text on the menu screens are distorted on my new laptop. Does anyone else have this issue and can I resolve it?

Thanks

Since you mention that large parts of the text are distorted, then it sounds like your laptop may be using the Intel integrated video rather than the Radeon 6630m. AMD has the "AMD Dynamic Switchable Graphics" feature in this particular video chipset so that it can use the Intel integrated video for 2D and normal computer use and the AMD Radeon gets called up to run 3D and other video tasks. I don't know how to configure the driver settings to have CMBN use the Radeon rather than the Intel, but that appears to be what you need to do. I don't know if CMBN can be listed somewhere in the Catalyst Control Center or if there is some sort of "right-click option popup menu" when launching the game that may specify running it on the AMD.

I definetly have the cmbn application swithced to 'high performace' rather than 'power save'. After your comment I tried tinkering with some of the features and it did greatly improve the game's graphics (by setting the graphics card quality v performance settings to max quality and over-ride the game settings). Unfortunately I got gready and tried to alter the settings once more to see if I could improve the performace again. This brought the graphics back down to earth with a crash and now even when I change the settings to the ones where I saw the improvements I cant get the improved performance back. Ah!

I just did another bit of testing by turning the Catalyst Control Centre switchable option for CMBN to 'power saving', meaning it should be using the Intel intergrated chipset rather than the ATI card. Interestingly it didn't make a blind bit of difference to the way the game played. I can only conclude that either the game doesn't recognise the ATI 6630 card, or the card isn't working. I've also run a 3D MARK test which came back with reasonable results, so is it reasonable to suggest that CMBN just doesn't recognise my graphics card?

FWIW, I thought I'd had my laptop set for CMBN. I was frustrated by the lack of playability. Then I found out I had to RIGHT CLICK the CMBN icon and one of the drop-down menu choices was "graphics setting" or somesuch. Selecting that allowed me to choose "default integrated" or "Dedicated graphics" (or something similar).

By selecting the dedicated graphics I finally got the gameplay I thought I should get. BTW, this was despite setting the graphics card menu for CMBN. It took the right-click method to FORCE the operating system to perform the action.

Good luck.

C3K I cant find a 'graphics' option or something similarly termed after right clicking the icon. Any other suggestions?

Very frustrating I've updated the bios and graphics driver but still no joy. I am now convinced after a bit of trawling through the interent that the game is using the intergrated Intel chipset rather than the ATI 6630 card. From what I've read the 6630 card and the Dell Vostro 3550 Im using sometimes have issues switching to the correct card for certain games/applications.