Java issue with Internet Explorer

I was trying to access the Java based opponent finder chat at http://www.combatmission.com:8000/ , but got nowhere. Seemingly my browser knows nothing about Java, so I could not enter the chat. As I'm too thick/lazy to configure a IRC-client, I am not allowed to find me a tcp opponent whenever I feel like it !

Is Java a no-no on IE then ? I tried a search with the IE help but found no traces of Java. Any chance that MS sees Java as a "threat" to itself and therefore hasn't included it in IE ? Or are there security issues concerning the use of Java ? An inquiring mind wants to know ! :confused:

IE has a Java-engine (Microsoft's own). So unless you did a custom installation of IE, you should have Java. Do you have a firewall between you and the Internet (with the possibility of certain ports being blocked) ?

You can also download Sun's version of Java JRE 1.41 (JRE is just the run-time modules. SDK is a developer oriented installation) it's the second set of listings. There are some newer versions, but I don't know if they would be any different for most people's uses.