Let's be honest...

We are talking defensive positions in buildings in these last few posts, correct?

If your unit is advancing through buildings in order to take an objective much farther along, a soldiers use of the building for cover and concealment will be quite different, and one may expose themselves to fire from adjacent buildings or rooms in the same building that might have been avoided by using the methods described by JasonC.

Building construction is probably the biggest factor in survivability, i.e. stone vs. wood.

If you stay away from windows then why would the adjacent buildings open fire, unless suppression to slow your advance, or direct fire HE. As for stone versus wood, plenty of flimsy Chechen buildings had wooden bunkers integrated into their structures that required direct tank fire or ATGM's to destroy. Now if you could put bunkers in buildings to represent pre-fortified structures you might be getting there.

One way we could get proper CM1-style troop placement in buildings would be to disconnect the Face command from the Covered Arc command somehow. Face the far corner and cover behind you into the street.

Unfortunately they occupy the same UI tab so only one can be used at a time and they over-ride each other.

If you stay away from windows then why would the adjacent buildings open fire, unless suppression to slow your advance, or direct fire HE. As for stone versus wood, plenty of flimsy Chechen buildings had wooden bunkers integrated into their structures that required direct tank fire or ATGM's to destroy. Now if you could put bunkers in buildings to represent pre-fortified structures you might be getting there.

I was referring to Combat Mission when I talked about construction, I probably should have been more specific.

You are right however, any type of structure can be renovated into a strong point regardless of its construction materials, given adequate time and materials.