Hiding

The much worse self preservation capabilities of hidden units, at least for WEGO, IMO was a showstopper for me.

Just rush with a fast unit through expected defense lines and until the player can react a whole minute later, with only a bit of luck, the aquired intelligence will show big parts of his devensive plan.

This behaviour forces players to micromanage even more. Grrreat...

Yes I agree that this is the biggest issue related to the current HIDE command when playing WEGO in H2H mainly, though I haven't personally been affected by it and hence I wouldn't consider it a show stopper.

I may be wrong but I kind of feel that the TacAI, when it comes to the HIDE command, is kind of "dumber" than what we saw in CMx1. Is it correct that CMBN units are more prone to stick to the HIDE (ie no return fire) command when they have been spotted and are taking direct fire or when enemy have moved within ambush range (when it comes to infantry)? As has been noted, there is a full max 60sec they could potentially be fired upon without returning fire even though as you watch the replay you would have wanted/expected them to break the HIDE commend and start returning fire, purely out of self-preservation.

Is there any data on the "spottablity" of infantry units in cover issued with the HIDE command as opposed to infantry issued with short target arcs?

I don't have too much problem with the hide command. I am assuming that it simulates soldiers with their heads well down doing their best to preserve life and limb. My real problem is with the algorithm Battlefront uses whereby infantry units are spotted whilst in cover. It can be incredibly frustrating when a unit you have placed in good cover such as a building, woods or hedgerow with a shortened arc of fire is spotted first and opened fire on by units advancing in the open at range. I know from real-life that when an infantry soldier is in good cover, preferably in shadow he is incredibly difficult to spot. He can see what is going on around him whilst remaining unobserved until he reveals his position by opening fire. This is even more the case when he is properly cammed up.

SLR

Well said. This is the problem I have, as well. In my last video several people commented on the fact that German units who were stationary behind good cover (tall, thick bocage) were spotted by advancing American units who were out in the open. The chances of these guys being spotted in real life would be extremely, extremely small unless they opened fire, moved, or were being fairly loud. There is really no way they should have been spotted, but they were (twice!).

For ambushes to be effective, units that are behind good cover/concealment need to be able to remain hidden without being given a hide order (simply using a short cover arc and not moving).