What's the digital download gonna cost?

So if the production cost of the game is $55 then are you saying $60 for hard goods is too cheap? By your logic BF should be charging $80-$100 for the pre-orders.

The way I look at it, the production costs are $55 and BF is giving me a sweet deal by selling the hard goods for $5 more. That must be why I jumped on the pre-order the first day. ;)

No, that's not what I'm saying - besides, if it cost BF $55 to produce the game as you said, then you likely would expect to pay $80-100 for it. BF is not charging you $5 more for hard goods. They are charging you $5 to get both a digital download and the hard goods.

If you only buy them separately you pay $55 for a physical copy, or $55 for a digital copy. It costs BF more to produce and warehouse (though I doubt they need much space as I imagine the games go out as fast as they come in from the production facility) physical product as opposed to hosting it on a server somewhere.

Based on the pricing you list above that it costs $5 more to get digital and physical product, should it not cost $5 less if you don't want the CD,box, and printed manual?

If you don't like paying $55 (or whatever it is), that is your choice. Vote with your wallet but you are going to be missing out on a great game!!!

Thx

jonpfl

I won't be missing out, because I am going to be buying it - as I said before, I don't have a problem paying $55 for a quality game, as all my BF games have been.

I think that several people entirely missed my point, which was that if it costs BF more to produce a physical copy (and it does), by cutting the physical media out of the equation, shouldn't the digital-only copy cost a little less?

as almost all other companies, they take what they can, if they know people will pay it.

If that was all there was to it, BFC would charge 100 dollars for it. Clearly there's more involved in determining a sales price than simply "charging what the market will bear". This is more a balance between that and volume.

If you want a gaming masters degree in pricing, talk to Valve, via Steam they're teaching lessons on how this work every day of the week.