Demo wont start

Gothmog

Plays the intro fine and then hangs on a black screen, no error message, have to kill it with task manager. I've tried installing all the latest drivers for everything and still no luck. Computer is a Core 2 Duo with a 9800GT running XP. Anyone know anything I can try?

•Microsoft Windows XP SP2, 32 - bit*

•2.5 GHz Intel Pentium 4 or an equivalent

•1.5 GB free System RAM

•2 GB free hard disk space

•DirectX 9.0c (included on disk)

•256 Мб video card GeForce 6600 or Radeon X1300 and DirectX 9.0c - compatible

•drivers

•8x DVD-ROM Drive

•DirectX 8.1-compatible audio card

•Keyboard, Mouse

\only other thing i can think of is lowering the settings with the startup as much as you can

how much ram do you have free? You may have 4gig but run out because you are loading so many things on startup.... maybe the game cannot use the 1.5 gig of FREE sytem ram. It needs you to have a SPARE 1.5gig ram not just 1.5 in total.... and those are the minimum specs

Yes, the Demo and the full game work on Windows XP SP3 32-bit. I'm running a Core 2 Quad E6700 with a GeForce 8800GT and it is working. I have the Nvidia 186.18 driver installed.

During the installation the Nvidia PhysX installer said what was already installed was newer. I can't recall if I installed the latest download of Nvidia PhysX or not, so that install was cancelled (PhysX comes up in my Nvidia Control Panel, instead of displaying in its own). PhysX is also enabled on my GPU. From the Demo I did install the DirectX 2008 update (though there is a 2009 update) and the Xvid codec.

For this computer I selected 'DirectX 9.0c' (the only setting for XP), 1024x768, Average Graphics Quality and the other two settings were set to 'off'.

On initial launch, after the movie played, the screen went back to the desktop and then went black for 20 or more seconds. Then the PT Boats splash screen came up and the bottom of the screen gave the text message prompts on the load progress. 'Compiling Shaders' seems to take a bit longer the first time the game loads.

I had the same problem with the PhysX installer saying it was a new version was already installed so I it aborted and continued to install everything else. I loaded up the game and watched the movie, then went to desktop and then to a black screen where it stayed. I then went on my updating mission and updated everything, including the newest PhysX installer which installed fine. Still the same problem. I've sinced tried uninstalling and reinstalling everything, same problem.