PT Boats will not start

rlaycock

Hi All

Pre ordered it downloaded it this morning but it will not start.:(

I get past the intro then jumps back to the desk top for a second or two then I get a message pt boats has stopped working ...

I am on a fresh install of win 7 ultimate 32 bit intel core 2 dueo nvidia 8800gts 2 gig ram

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Bob

I have seen some instances where on the first run after the movie has played the game will "compile shaders". Running on one machine I tried this process crashed two or three times before it finished. It should only need to "compile shaders" once, though it is possible that the game may need to do so again with certain options being selected.

In the Settings dialog that comes up, which DirectX version have you selected and what setting do you have for "Dynamic Shadows" ? If you selected DirectX 10 and enabled Dynamic Shadows, you may want to instead select 'DirectX 9.0c' and disable Dynamic Shadows ("off") and see if that helps the game load.

Same problem here

Win 7 x64 ultimate

core2 duo 2.66Ghz

2 GB RAM

ATI radeon HD 4550 with the latest drivers

Tried doing as suggested, no luck

tried running in compatibility mode, no luck.

here's what the event log throws up..

Fault bucket 1624598390, type 1

Event Name: APPCRASH

Response: Not available

Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:

P1: PT-Boats.exe

P2: 1.0.0.1

P3: 4b0e85c8

P4: StackHash_0a9e

P5: 0.0.0.0

P6: 00000000

P7: c0000005

P8: 00000000

P9:

P10:

Attached files:

C:\Users\Simon\AppData\Local\Temp\WER7616.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml

These files may be available here:

C:\Users\Simon\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_PT-Boats.exe_da7ce254e4a79bd4188591afd9f2b6ffd56dc70_0bebb651

Analysis symbol:

Rechecking for solution: 0

Report Id: 04dfd60a-f0dc-11de-9702-001e8c4903f3

Report Status: 0

and

Fault bucket 518204139, type 5

Event Name: PCA2

Response: Not available

Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:

P1: PT-Boats.exe

P2: 1.0.0.1

P3: PT-Boats

P4: PT-Boats

P5: Akella

P6: 100

P7: 0

P8:

P9:

P10:

Attached files:

C:\Users\Simon\AppData\Local\Temp\PCWCE72.tmp

C:\Users\Simon\AppData\Local\Temp\ACGCEF0.tmp

These files may be available here:

C:\Users\Simon\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\NonCritical_PT-Boats.exe_1b19f7aa6deff2e61ab517e4c5f5a714f8dcf034_cab_0d1ff0a2

Analysis symbol:

Rechecking for solution: 0

Report Id: 1430506d-f0dc-11de-9702-001e8c4903f3

Report Status: 12

When the game crashes have you gotten to a splash screen after the movie ? It might be necessary to try running the game several times (without changing the Settings dialog box each time) and see if that gets you any farther. On an initial run with a lower end machine it took about three attempts before the game would fully load and get beyond 'compiling shaders'.

When the game crashes have you gotten to a splash screen after the movie ? It might be necessary to try running the game several times (without changing the Settings dialog box each time) and see if that gets you any farther. On an initial run with a lower end machine it took about three attempts before the game would fully load and get beyond 'compiling shaders'.
I first tried to run the game at 1680 X 1050 and it wouldn't load. I don't know if it mattered or not but I reduced the resolution and it worked.

Joe

OK ... we now have it working. *However* it's possible that the installer is aborting after PhysX and not getting as far as the DirectX, XVid (or even Acrobat) installs.

1) After many failed attermpts, I downloaded/installed Phyx (from nVidia) and updated the video drivers while I was at it.

2) Disabled UAC.

3) Ran the installer "as Administrator".

4) Installed to the *default* directory (C:\ .....)

5) The script then found a newer version of Physx but allowed us to resume, whereupon it went on to install DX9 and Xvid Codecs (which didn't show the first time).

It appears that a standard Win7 has DX11 (11????) installed but PTBoats is looking for DX9 (at least to start with). After getting the "install DX9" option, PTB appears to run fine in both DX9 and DX10 mode.

Ok, got it to work by re-installing, installing the latest phyx drivers from nvidia, setting directx to 9.0c and lowering video resolution to 1024x768

Now the next problem. During the first training mission the controls worked fine,then replaying the mission or trying another mission, i've no rudder control. It didn't just stop working, it just got worse and worse until there was no control. It's not mission related as this started during the second attempt at the first training mission, now there's no control in any of the available missions. Tried different keys, no luck.

tirpitz - can you please submit a ticket to our Helpdesk with an attached copy of your 'dxdiag' file from the DirectX Diagnostic and a description of your steering problem. If you need some help generating this file, please respond to this thread and I will submit the instructions here. Also please list any specific input devices you are using (keyboard, mouse, etc.) and possibly driver versions if they are not built into Windows.

We will try to pass this information over to Akella's Support and Development personnel and see if they have any guesses as to what is happening. They may need more files, but I will have to find out what in particular they need.