The idea of making the enemy "deploy early"

Guest Guest

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm....as to the original point, I would have thought one of the main reasons to make an opponent deploy early, other than delay, is to increase wear on both men and machines.--non-combat attrition being a significant component of losses.

As to whether artillery is more effective on troops in columns or troops deployed, would anyone ever turn down a chance at troops in columns (unless it would prematurely spring an ambush)? Just the morale and disorganization effects make it valuable.

You interested in one too URC?

i still haven't had time to send even just the initial turn to Corvidae. i wasted time trying to find solutions to graphical glitches on Vista.

i might be up for another CMBB game if i somehow manage to get the game rolling smooth with Corvidae.

i am a bit tired of QBs. it would be refreshing to have forces with stuff that doesn't make sense to buy in QBs. i would also like to play with verbally agreed victory conditions instead of using those of CM.

a quick example of what i mean with verbal victory conditions:

June 1941, weak Soviet rifle force delays against strong German mechanized pursuit, 60 minutes

2x3 km map (hand made)

2-5 flags at geographical locations, spread in width + depth -- in Soviet hands

Soviets: 1 rifle coy + support weapons, mines, trenches etc

Germs: initially 1 armored inf plt, 1 inf coy on trucks, 1 panzer coy, heavy on arty -- rich reinforcements steadily pouring in (to full bat strength or so)

victory conditions:

+10 points for any German unit (squad, HMG etc) under 50% strength

-20 points for any Soviet unit under 50% strength

+5 points per turn as long as no German unit has exited map to east

-1 point for every German unit that has exited map to east

-5 points for every Soviet unit still on map after turn 60 (can exit only to east)

+5 points per turn per flag, a flag is in Soviet hands

positive final score indicates Soviet victory, negative German one.

the above stuff is not really usable, just a quick example. the idea is to create goals that are based on something else than CM scores. e.g. above Soviet player is trying to avoid a fight as long as possible, while milking away free points from flags, where as German player is trying to get a fight and optimally prevent Soviet troops from exiting the map.