Who the trolls are?

Mikko H.

Mikko H.,

Terrific find, with valuable insights! Having been many times the target of trolls myself, to include members who should definitely know better, it was fascinating to see what makes them tick. Wasn't surprised that some have been abused and went on to become abusers and victimizers themselves. Some, though, exhibit the same twisted behavior that leads people to kick the slats from beneath cripples and steal a blind person's cane.

On balance, I think people tend to be a lot more selective what they say when they might get a rap in the chops or worse if someone doesn't like it. Out here, if you cut someone off, you just might get a bullet back in reply. Has happened repeatedly and sometimes, fatally.

Regards,

John Kettler

The people featured in the article aren't trolls. They're cyber-bullies, at best, cyber-terrorists, at worst. They get their kicks by making other people's lives difficult. The article doesn't offer insight into the pyschology of these people, it just confirms everything we already know about them; they're immature, angry, vengeful, petty people who equate having internet skilz with having power. And they use this power to ruin the day, week, life of someone whom they feel deserves it.

Even the journalist who wrote the article was subjected to bullying. Taking a picture of someone's bank card? Emailing someone with their Social Insurance Number? These are threats. I doubt that the journalist wasn't affected by these acts while typing out the story.

Unbiased journalism? Not likely. Offering insight? Not at all.