Infantry tactics implementation

aittam

here stated an interesting discussion about infantry in drop team, that will be added later on, and I just started to think how infantry and their possible weapons will change the actual tactics

shouldn't ATGM paladin be equipped with a 7,62 minigun for instance?

I use HE for shrikes and making people's view shake. Too small for accurately hitting sensors, unless you count the mortar varient. tongue.gif

Due to the somewhat lower ammo count infantry would be able to carry (as far as tank-defeating-capable weaponry) I'm not sure how totally effective infantry will be, especially for extended periods.

If they get ions though, that'll be another story.

Originally posted by aittam:

here stated an interesting discussion about infantry in drop team, that will be added later on, and I just started to think how infantry and their possible weapons will change the actual tactics

shouldn't ATGM paladin be equipped with a 7,62 minigun for instance?

Every vehicle should have some sort of anti-personel weapon IMO. Without the main gun a tank can still run from other tanks, but if a tank comes under infantry attack the only escape is to fight. When armies have fielded vehicles with no machineguns, the crews have figured out ways to weld them on.

I'm curious about how line-of-sight will work with infantry. Infantry can go invisible in high grass or shallow ditches. AFVs almost never see dismounts until the dismounts attack. I've had a dozen times playing OPFOR where an armored vehicle rolled up 20 meters from where I was hiding without seeing anything. I really think that the detection range from the vehicle should be extremely limited, except for through the gunner's sight or near where the gun is aimed.

How effective infantry will be depends a lot on the terrain. Infantry probably wouldn't survive long in the open terrain in the current scenarios. But if the terrain is rougher, or in woods, infantry will be useful.