Newb question about Jagermeister scenario in CMBB

Ok, maybe i'm missing something here, and because I'm a newb, that's more than likely. But......

In the Jagermeister scenario (suggested as the 2nd tutorial in the CMBB manual), playing as the russians, I've got some arty spotters. They say on their info page, transport class 1. As they are a SLOW speed unit, I tried to stick them on a tank, instead of waiting 10 turns for them to get where I need them (when the bulk of my force can be in position in 3-4 turns). For some reason, no can do.

What am I missing? The manual says you can transport, as long as the transportER has a higher transport class number (tanks have tr class 2) than the transportEE (arty spotters have tr class 1), but something is preventing them from being transported by the tanks....

Any help???

Spotters that specifically say "radio" on them can ride vehicles normally. Spotters that don't are using field phones and lines, not radios. Lines and tanks don't mix. They can't ride a vehicle. They are also slow speed when moving on foot, because they are playing out wire as they move around. They are not meant to make large movements. You want them in (or near) places with good LOS and in cover. Then they should call their missions, not try to race around for better sight locations.

You can also, incidentally, call for fire on turn 1, as "map fire", without needing LOS to the target. The time will read 1 second - immediate, no delay. It also will be accurate, no chance of missing the aim point. You can choose which turn you want the arty to land, by repeatedly hitting Q to delay the fire mission for one minute each time. A "fire plan" can be constructed from multiple FOs using turn 1 missions and appropriate delays.

Of course, the downside of fire plans is you don't know where the enemy will be at set up. If you choose to use a spotter for observed, "reactive" fire, you put up with fire mission delays and LOS problems - which are harder for wire spotters and large calibers (with their high delay) than for battalion mortars or radio FOs. You make your choice about which difficulty is easier to live with, given your plan.

*** MINOR SPOILER -- JAEGERMEISTER SCENARIO ***

Both of the Russian spotters in this scenario are wire spotters, so they can only move on foot, and slowly at that.

The Rocket spotter you might as well use for a pre-planned strike, since his delay is long enough that he's not of much use any other way.

You have plenty of time to move the 76mm spotter forward in this scenario, though -- the scenario is fairly long, and you don't have to move him all that far to get him into a position with good LOS. I moved him into the trees on crest on the right where he had a good view of the town and surrounding area, and then used him to call observed fire down on known enemy positions. Worked beautifully. Once they are in a good position, wire spotters call can call fire onto positions where they have LOS just as fast as Radio spotters.

Cheers,

YD

Thanks about the preplanned thing for the rockets. That helped.

The other guy, I also put on the woods to the right, on the crest. Gives good view of the town, the graveyard, down the road, and even the area to the right of the graveyard....

I keep getting shredded in this scenario. I'm still having trouble with getting a handle on what exactly I should be doing. I'm going to have to start trying some new stuff.

I got my CMBB strategy guide in the mail yesterday (and it's giving me some ideas of stuff I should be trying in my current scenario), and I've already picked up a bit of info from it. Sure, for you long time grogs, it may be full of stuff you already know, but for *almost* (I've got panzer general 3d assault, and can *usually* beat the ai in that game, along with west front/east front/rising sun and can usually hang with the ai in those) pure beginners like myself, I think its not too bad (so far).

***SPOILERS***

Let us know exactly where you're having trouble and pehaps we can help.

You can also do a search -- there have been several threads in the past on this scenario. You might need to check the Scenarios or the CMBB forum, though.

One quick tip: shoot and scoot. Your IS-2s have a big, powerful 122m round, but are slow to reload. So use infantry on the crest to spot enemy threats, and once you see something, pop the IS-2s up from behind the hill, have them take a shot, and then run 'em back.

If you're tricky about where you pop up (never right in front of the barrel of the enemy guns, always to one side or the other), you can usually get a shot off and get back behind the crest before he manages to shoot back, and sooner or later, you'll get a hit.

Sometimes it takes a while, but it usually pays off in the long run.

Cheers,

YD