Accurate Air Support

I just experienced the most devistating air strike I've ever suffered. In four turns I lost 4 tanks, a PaK40, and several infantry to one IL-10 'Beast'

I've never, never seen this happen before. Half the time I get a plane it either aims for my troops or misses it's targets by at least 50 yards. I'm just wondering if this was a lucky fluke or something that actually happens kind of often and I've just always been unlucky.

One other question, do 88mm Flak cannons shoot at these planes or not? I have two and they just sit there. Weren't the 88s more for shooting at the high flying bombers than the lower flying fighter/bombers?

Originally posted by BigDork:

One other question, do 88mm Flak cannons shoot at these planes or not? I have two and they just sit there. Weren't the 88s more for shooting at the high flying bombers than the lower flying fighter/bombers?

They will not shoot at any of the planes in CM. For that, you will need 20mm or 37mm. Maybe some of your MGs might too, but I haven't personally seen that.

Michael

Originally posted by BigDork:

Then the plane proceeds to fire on units I have hidden in woods. WfF??? How can he see them?

This was discussed not too long ago. It appears to be a design flaw.

The air aspect of CM is one of those things due for a serious overhaul in CMX. Until then, it's probably best simply not to use it at all.

Michael

88s don't fire at tactical fighter-bombers, only 40mm and lighter do. Flexible MGs will fire at planes within range, so given the range of most MGs, don't fire that often. ISU series SPGs mount a 12.7mm HMG and do fire at aircraft quite readily

IL-10s are, IIRC, very expensive - more than a heavy tank, easily. The most expensive planes come in at around 500pts while the cheapest are less then 100pts so you have a wide range of capabilities.

A halfway-decent amount of AA fire really messes up the accuracy of air attacks.

Originally posted by flamingknives:

IL-10s are, IIRC, very expensive - more than a heavy tank, easily. The most expensive planes come in at around 500pts...

Well perhaps it's worth it sometimes. That 500 point plane took out a platoon of StuGs, a Hetzer, a PaK40, killed about 10 infantry, knocked out a 81mm mortar. The only thing is I really don't think that this happens very often. But then again I never buy the expensive planes.

Is it worth getting the more expensive ones?

I rarely bother, as much cheaper Flak units can really spoil a planes day, and the random factor of 'who shall I attack today?' is really exacerbated by the amount of firepower they have.

That being said, Soviet aircraft mounting 30mm+ cannon are great at punching holes in the side of German tanks you can't ouflank, because the side armour of most Panzers is really thin.