1.04 doesn't appear on screen after patch loaded

I've downloaded and run the patch just fine. I can see it has properly overwritten the files in the default SC directory. However, the version 1.04 doesn't appear on the screen after I boot up the game. Moreover, I can't play PBEM games because no one can read my files as they appear as the old version and not 1.04.

WHAT IS THE PROBLEM????

I'VE RELOADED AND RERUN THE PATCH DOZENS OF TIMES!!!!!

Hubert,

I know how to do the patch, my buddy and I play. His works, mine doesn't. I don't get any version number in the bottom right hand corner of the MAIN MENU screen, before or after I execute the patch. I did a defualt directory program install. The patch is going to the right directory. And, I verify that the patch files are overwritting properly.

However, the version number is not getting updated and my PBEM files are not being saved as the new version. As PBEM is the reason I bought the game, it is worthless to me at this time.

I'm running XP, as is my friend. My system's specs are typical - as is my friend's. I see no reason for this problem and really need your help.

Thanks!

OK just to make sure we are on the same page here ;) , the version number should show on the bottom right hand corner of the MAIN MENU regardless of version, be it the original version from CD or if updated from the patch. The version number appears as a grey text that may not be immediately visible due to the mostly grey background of the MAIN MENU screen, and by MAIN MENU I am refering to the initial menu screen for NEW GAME etc. It would be curious if it does not show the version number on the MAIN MENU screen as it would be the first time I've heard of this. Is it possible that the bottom portion of the screen is cutoff when playing the game and your screen needs to be manually adjusted through various monitor options? I realize that these suggestions may appear very trivial but I am just trying to narrow down what could be the problem.

Also just to double check that the patch has been properly installed, could you verify the timestamp of the 'SC.exe' file in your installation directory. If the patch was applied properly it should read 05/09/2002 1:47 PM. Maybe shortcuts have been corrupted, in this case try launching the main SC.exe directly from your installation directory or verifying and double checking all shortcut paths.

Let me know if any of this helps,

Hubert

Hubert,

Thank you very much for your help. Having such personal attention is very satisfying and much appreciated.

I'll have to troubleshoot more when I get home after work. What I do know know is:

When the patch is working the version number appears in red letters in the lower right hand screen where the heads of the world leaders are shown.

When the patch is not working I don't see any version number there.

The place where the version number should be is not off the screen, and would be plain to see if present.

When I look at the SC directory after I run the patch, the files are updated with new ones. All the file dates are more recent than they had been.

I don't think the link to the application executable file is the problem, as I've tried to start the program numerous ways including clicking on the executable file directly.

Thanks,

Doug

• 2 weeks later...

I am having a similar problem. I installed 1.04 and later 1.05, but there is nothing on the main menu screen to indicate as much. I deinstalled/ reinstalled the entire game a couple of times to no avail. The game hotseats ok, but we are unable to play by email, because when I send a file to my friend (who has uploaded 1.04), his game rejects it. I run win xp on a good system. I would appreciate your help.

I am guessing dougman4 figured out what was causing the problem on his end, perhaps he might be able to give us some feedback as to what was going on.

When you are in the MAIN MENU screen where all the 'Leaders' are shown, what version number is shown on the bottom right hand corner, you may have to resize your screen if it does not immediately appear or is cutoff. A quick way to tell is if you see the proper border all the way around in the MAIN MENU screen. The version number should appear as grey text.

Hubert

I had this same problem with v1.04. It did not show up on the main menu screen, but it was installed correctly. If you go to task manager and look next to sc then it does say v1.04. It must just be a minor problem with v1.04. When I installed v1.05 it did so the version number on the main menu screen.

Nope, I still can't get it to work. On the leaders screen, I don't have any version number listed in the bottom right hand corner.

I still can't play be email and v1.05 didn't help either.

Sounds like JPTOUTPRET and I have a similar problem.

Would appreciate your help in troubleshooting.

[ November 04, 2002, 11:56 AM: Message edited by: dougman4 ]

Ok this is strange indeed. Let's try working with the v1.05 patch and see what we can come up with. Assuming you've installed the patch, please try the following:

1) Launch SC (should be v1.05)

2) Use Ctrl-Alt-Delete to check what version is running (under 2000/XP you will also have to click on 'Task Manager')

If the patch was installed properly then it should at least be reporting to be running 'Strategic Command v1.05'. Let me know what you get.

Hubert