For the record (I still play SC1)

Justanotherwargamer

I don't yet have SC2 (it's about being an adult, and paying bills first, yeah I know, sucks to be mature smile.gif ).

I am not for or against SC2 yet, because I've only seen the demo.

I'm still moody about the lack of hexes, but again, I have not played SC2 yet really (demo is not enough to make a big judgement) so I'm not sure if I can get past no hexes or not.

Have not stopped playing SC1 though, because why would I want to?

The game is like Squad Leader, say what you want in support of ASL, but it became famous because Squad Leader made it that way.

Same with SC, the game succeeded because original SC was great.

I play mainly hotseat. Sorry guys, heard to much flak about security so I won't respond to requests to play.

But wanted to make it clear, the ole original game has not lost its shine.

I don't yet have SC2 (it's about being an adult, and paying bills first, yeah I know, sucks to be mature smile.gif ).

I am not for or against SC2 yet, because I've only seen the demo.

I'm still moody about the lack of hexes, but again, I have not played SC2 yet really (demo is not enough to make a big judgement) so I'm not sure if I can get past no hexes or not.

Have not stopped playing SC1 though, because why would I want to?

The game is like Squad Leader, say what you want in support of ASL, but it became famous because Squad Leader made it that way.

Same with SC, the game succeeded because original SC was great.

I play mainly hotseat. Sorry guys, heard to much flak about security so I won't respond to requests to play.

But wanted to make it clear, the ole original game has not lost its shine.

Hi there Just another wargamer!. I have already finished with SC2 and am back playing SC1 with Dozer, Roving Greek and 46th Panzer. Contact me if you would like to play. There were some good points in SC2 - but I prefer SC1. I'd love there to be an SC3 combining the best points of both games (or at least what I consider the best points of both games)

Hi there Just another wargamer!. I have already finished with SC2 and am back playing SC1 with Dozer, Roving Greek and 46th Panzer. Contact me if you would like to play. There were some good points in SC2 - but I prefer SC1. I'd love there to be an SC3 combining the best points of both games (or at least what I consider the best points of both games)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Originally posted by realest:

I have SC, i find it nothing like Squad Leader. The closest thing i ever found to that in a computer Genre was Steel Panthers.

That game rocked. And still does, i should get my old Win95 machine running again so i can get into DOS mode. LOL

smile.gif I suppose the comment was too cryptic hehe. No SC is grand strategy and a computer wargame, and Squad Leader is a board game and squad tactical. Obviously they have nothing in common beyond both are set in WW2 hehe.

My remark was directed at how both games were very successful, and it was THEIR design elements that made them the successes they are.

Now it is clear that ASL is a major leap forward in many ways, but, in many ways they also likely took some directions that might not have been entirely wise as well. It's massively expensive, it is massively complex and the manual is anything but easy to manage hehe.

SC2 has a great editor, major plus, but, SC2 doesn't have hexes, it has tiles. And frankly it would have been nicer on the eyes let alone game play if it had stuck with hexes.

I made the comparison, because in both cases, both games evolutions seem bent on painting the originators as lacking and as inadequate. Well, if they had been genuinely lacking, and genuinely inadequate, they'd have never made it to "success" status either.

Anyway, it is clear this game has been shelved as far as forum interest is concerned smile.gif I started this thread a LONG way back hehe. And no one has posted a new thread since.

Back in the beginning, a thread's time on page 1 could be measured in minutes hehe. Oh well, everything has it's day.

I haven't played a game of Advanced Third Reich in a number of years either.

I got the email by the way guys, I am considering playing, but, I would likely prefer to play "live" as opposed to PBEM. I have a bad habit of getting distracted, and wandering off in PBEM mode.

Originally posted by realest:

I have SC, i find it nothing like Squad Leader. The closest thing i ever found to that in a computer Genre was Steel Panthers.

That game rocked. And still does, i should get my old Win95 machine running again so i can get into DOS mode. LOL

smile.gif I suppose the comment was too cryptic hehe. No SC is grand strategy and a computer wargame, and Squad Leader is a board game and squad tactical. Obviously they have nothing in common beyond both are set in WW2 hehe.

My remark was directed at how both games were very successful, and it was THEIR design elements that made them the successes they are.

Now it is clear that ASL is a major leap forward in many ways, but, in many ways they also likely took some directions that might not have been entirely wise as well. It's massively expensive, it is massively complex and the manual is anything but easy to manage hehe.

SC2 has a great editor, major plus, but, SC2 doesn't have hexes, it has tiles. And frankly it would have been nicer on the eyes let alone game play if it had stuck with hexes.

I made the comparison, because in both cases, both games evolutions seem bent on painting the originators as lacking and as inadequate. Well, if they had been genuinely lacking, and genuinely inadequate, they'd have never made it to "success" status either.

Anyway, it is clear this game has been shelved as far as forum interest is concerned smile.gif I started this thread a LONG way back hehe. And no one has posted a new thread since.

Back in the beginning, a thread's time on page 1 could be measured in minutes hehe. Oh well, everything has it's day.

I haven't played a game of Advanced Third Reich in a number of years either.

I got the email by the way guys, I am considering playing, but, I would likely prefer to play "live" as opposed to PBEM. I have a bad habit of getting distracted, and wandering off in PBEM mode.