To Moon: Briefing of "Island Hill" Op.?

I am playing this Op, but there is a problem.

possible

s

p

o

i

l

e

r

for those playing from the german side

In the US briefing, it is referenced as a 4 battle op, though once on play there are 5 battles.

Is it to allow a) skip the night combat and/or B) use another battle to take the Mesarinolo Mount?

-very useful, if (B). At the beginning of the fourth battle, my roadblocks are 500 yards apart from the Highway Nº 87 !! -

- - -

And congratulations, Moon. I like the operation very much. A river crossing, taking a mountain -and a town, too-, you can´t ask for more !! (oh, and fighting german tanks also).

- - -

Feliz Navidad y próspero año nuevo para todos.

I did not like this operation at all…

I DID like the map a lot. A bit flat, other that the mountain that is – but I guess river plains are flat.

I did plan on reviewing it on the SD, but as I did not finish it I think it would be unfair.

I think I must have missed something here.

(Beware possible spoilers)

I have started it twice (not a thing I normally do, I try to live and die by the results I make – or don’t make :) )– the first time I thought that I must have done something very wrong, when I started with foxholes and roadblocks in the third battle and still having a long way to go to be able to cut the road. The second time I avoided fight and slipped around the mountain, night fight’ed to the end of the next map, so at the start of the third battle I was in plain view of the road – but I could not place the roadblocks on the road. And still it did not make sense to me

I like the setting, river crossing, night moving and – fighting – then I would expect a defensive battle or two on the road.

What am I missing? I think this could be a great operation.

Edited some spelling

[ December 27, 2003, 08:01 PM: Message edited by: Morten ]

Hi Morten,

in playtesting it was found that the operation can develop very differently each time you play. This is mainly due to the fairly large map and small forces used, and it's something I actually like as it keeps replayability high. It does mean that you might get a less exciting fight depending on sheer luck, what the AI does, and what you do.

My suggestion would be to do as the briefing says - avoid a fight and push forward quickly (don't forget to bring up your rear support units). It's possible to reach the road in time, but it's by far not easy. The AI will counterattack more aggressively the further you make it from my experience.

PS. Feel free to re-use the map and change the operation.