You guys need rest....

Ok, after browsing through the board for the last 4-5 months or so at least three times a week, I can offer my conclusions about the inhabitants of this virtual community...

All of you are plainly nuts, obsessed with CM, know far too much about WWII, have very little life outside of here or the game, sometimes very funny people.

Oh, and I did a search but came up with nothing.

Take a vacation.

By the way, I will not accept any of these qualities I mentioned or whatever anyone comes up with in replies...

ding-a-ling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

smile.gif <-- And that is a mad smiley....

>>>>

Ok, after browsing through the board for the last 4-5 months or so at least three times a week

>>>>

3 to 4 times a week? You sissy. How about bellying up to the bar and checking the posts everyday like any good red-blooded and redeyed CMer should. If you can't run with the big dogs perhaps you better...ah...uhm...run with the little ones.

smile.gif <----Pleasant smile while I look for a big rock.

[This message has been edited by Black Five (edited 02-22-2001).]

I can't decide if this is supposed to be a troll, a flame, or a joke. Opinions?

BTW, the best thing about Saturday nights isn't that you don't have to go to class with a hangover, it's that the internet is really fast.

------------------

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

The Last Defense- Mods, Scenarios, and more!

Guest Michael emrys

Originally posted by Black Five:

3 to 4 times a week? You sissy. How about bellying up to the bar and checking the posts everyday like any good red-blooded and redeyed CMer should.

Only once a day??? Hell, I bet you pee sitting down then.

wink.gifbiggrin.gif

I log on at least three times a day. Shucks, I spend more time posting about CM than I do playing it.

There! Put that in your pipe and...and...do whatever you do with it!

Michael

My habbit is checking the board @ work-place , play my pbem "homework" and some time solo games after work.

Take a vac? Sounds like you need CMBorg!

Did a search? What keyword have you tried? How about keywords like "Metal Gear Solid", "Baldur's Gate II: Shadow of Amn", "Starfleet Command II", "Harpoon4", "GI Combat", "Panzer Elite", "Combat Command", "Hamster", "Close Combat", "ASL", "wife", "food", "girlfriend", "daughter", "Flanker", "Air Warrior", "son", "husband", "boyfriend", "movie", "books"? Just this tiny portion of keywords, I am sure you can have a slit graspe the colorful life of us CMaries.

Time to put up the "Don't feed the Trool" sign? biggrin.gif

Griffin.

------------------

"When you find your PBEM opportents too hard to beat, there is always the AI."

"Can't get enough Tank?"

My post was a simple teaser, to etch out how my understanding of the board and its users actually fitted the reality created and maintained by them.

Judging from the replies that came,

looks like I was right in many respects.

So, here comes my real conclusions. This time it's not a teaser. So far,

1) The vast majority of you are intelligent and mature people.

2) On average, your grasp on history, and especially military history is excellent.

3) You derive great pleasure from discussing these things with people you know that you are able to communicate such issues with.

4) You feel a part of a closely knit group, a community, and the initial reaction to outsiders is generally hostile. (the troll, as an insider way of saying "worthless" newbie) A "newbie" to the community has to prove himself (Boru's recent post as an example - he must have observed the same things to compose so intricate an introduction of himself) to be worthy of attention. Note that I do not say this in a offensive or judging way, it is simply an observation.

Of course, the first three observations were obvious enough. The last one was the one I was having doubts about and wanted to confirm. The very act of me writing this structurally defines my thoughts on the matter, and with your replies they will evolve from there. My simple aim is to understand.

I find the game itself as very enjoyable and in many respects it is a dream come true for me. Yet, the gathering of minds that the game has created is much more interesting.

First of all, I don't think I am just an average player and don't have a inflated ego.

My reaction: why the tests after ? Why drop a bomb when everybody is enjoying themselves within the "rule" of this Forum? What is your motive after all?

Frankly, I won't hesitate to point out the first post you made does not sound "Trolling" now, this is "Taunting". From the other posts of this thread, I don't understand how you draw the conclusions.

Constructive critisms are always welcomed. Do you realise how many "newbies" here are reading the thread and benefit from them? I don't think many newbie are not trying to show themselves off here and we don't label "newbies" simply as "trolls" so long as they understand and practise proper social manners. If you read about the "dynamic lighting" thread, we have straighten the original poster out so he finally understand the issues he pointed out with detailed techincal (not historial) discussions and everybody was happy about it, and nobody get locked. I am not representing any authorities. Just a note.

------------------

"Can't get enough Tank?"

[This message has been edited by GriffinCheng+ (edited 02-22-2001).]

The point, as I had mentioned, is to understand.

What I am after here, and excuse me if the pharsing out of this offends you, is to find out how closed comminities form and how elitism develops within these. See this as a first step of my way of finding this out.

I don't think many newbie are not trying to show themselves off here and we don't label "newbies" simply as "trolls" so long as they understand and practise proper social manners..

----

My observation is that the "social manners" that the trolls must practise so as not to be labbeled as such are elitist. They preclude most of the casual would-be participitants from the board.

The motive? Self satisfaction, most probably. Curiosity developed, and I want to satisfy it. But isn't it why we are all here? Maybe in the process of me communicating myself, others will enjoy themselves too.

A disclaimer - I am in no way writing this in an offensive mood.

Juno, are you writing a story? You a journalist or do you just have a natural curiosity for things? You must be some sort of writer...

My understanding is that a troll is a person who flames someone soley to start a war. Newbies are not considered trolls unless they do just that. In fact, newbies here are treated quite well in my opinion as long as they don't do what I did and start demanding changes within the game after 1 week of playing. smile.gif

You seem like an intelligent guy. Why don't you channel this energy into the game and stop prodding us to see what the inhabitants of this board are made of. Jump on in and see what it's all about. Play some games, join a ladder, post a thought, wade in the cesspool, etc...

------------------

Youth is wasted on the young.

[This message has been edited by Colonel_Deadmarsh (edited 02-22-2001).]

Wait, did I sound "offensive"?

Sorry, but are you reminding us that we should better channel our energy to something else rather than partispating some self-fulfilling, little "test"? Fine, thank you but I think I must have lost my sense of humor somewhere along this thread. smile.gif

I really feel flattered when somebody stick the "elite" label on my forehead. Oh, just a little laugh before I get off work.

BTW, I really enjoy the latest Boru very much.

See ya around, then.

Griffin.

Originally posted by JunoReactor:

The point, as I had mentioned, is to understand.

What I am after here, and excuse me if the pharsing out of this offends you, is to find out how closed comminities form and how elitism develops within these. See this as a first step of my way of finding this out.

I don't think many newbie are not trying to show themselves off here and we don't label "newbies" simply as "trolls" so long as they understand and practise proper social manners..

----

My observation is that the "social manners" that the trolls must practise so as not to be labbeled as such are elitist. They preclude most of the casual would-be participitants from the board.

The motive? Self satisfaction, most probably. Curiosity developed, and I want to satisfy it. But isn't it why we are all here? Maybe in the process of me communicating myself, others will enjoy themselves too.

A disclaimer - I am in no way writing this in an offensive mood.

------------------

"Can't get enough Tank?"

Guest MantaRay

Things that should be done 3 or 4 times a week:

1.) Shaving

2.) Update Websites

3.) Ask When CM2 comes out

4.) Start a New Peng Thread

5.) Eat at McDonalds

6.) Watch the News

7.) "Read" SI Swinsuit Issue

8.) Times Kwazydog should call Charles a "Slave-driving, Pencil-Neck Geek."

9.) Times Maneri should get banned

10.) Times you should have sex with the wife.

11.) Times wife should fall asleep waiting for you to finish PBEM games, while waiting for sex.

12.) Times Matt should post Mods on his site (but doesn't)

13.) Times Wild Bill should make new scenarios

14. Times Bill Clinton should be brought up on charges.

15.) Times Hasbro should be beaten for existing.

biggrin.gif

Ray

------------------

When asked, "How many moves do you see ahead?", CAPABLANCA replied: "One move - the best one."

Click now for shelter from the Peng thread

New Site of the PLA:Rugged Defense Group Ladder

The Red Army Mirror