Looking to clear up some drive space on C:

Andrew Kulin

I need to clear up some space on my Windows boot drive (C:) as it is getting full and that may be causing me some grief with running Adobe Photoshop. 

I can see that I have 21.3 GB of drive space being used by Battlefront and I am asking if I can move or delete any of these files to free up some space on my c: drive.  I have tons of free space on a multitude of other drives and in fact the way I originally set up Windows 7 to run was with my user account on the D: drive (My Documents, Desktop, Games, etc.).  It would appear that CMBN, CMFI, and CMRT are saved onto my D: Drive (not shown here), while CMFB, CMBS, CMFI (again), and CMRT (again) are saved on my C: drive.  Game files for all five games are saved on the D: drive.

On the image below, the Data directories contain brz files.

image.png.16be0789d339c88083f0bcd1d4a36cd7.png

So on to my question(s):

1.  I believe that I can safely delete the CMFI and CMRT files from the C: drive as there are also on the D-drive

2.  With regard to the other two sets of game files (CMBS and CMFB), can I simply move them onto the D:dive, update my shortcut links and the games will work?  Are there also registry settings that need to be changed?

Thanks,

35 minutes ago, Andrew Kulin said:

I need to clear up some space on my Windows boot drive (C:) as it is getting full and that may be causing me some grief with running Adobe Photoshop. 

<snipped>

1.  I believe that I can safely delete the CMFI and CMRT files from the 😄 drive as there are also on the D-drive

2.  With regard to the other two sets of game files (CMBS and CMFB), can I simply move them onto the D:dive, update my shortcut links and the games will work?  Are there also registry settings that need to be changed?

Thanks,

You can test #1 and #2 first.  On the D drive, double-click / open the Combat Mission .exe file for each game.  If the game starts and plays normally, your D drive copies are now verified as good.  Then copy CMBS and CMFB to the D try and run the same tests.  Once you're satisfied all is well, you can free up your C drive space.

15 hours ago, Andrew Kulin said:

1.  I believe that I can safely delete the CMFI and CMRT files from the 😄 drive as there are also on the D-drive

Sounds like it. You don't need them installed on both drives.

15 hours ago, Andrew Kulin said:

You can move the game install directories without any problem. The scenario files and saves however need to be in the My Documents location. It is possible to move that too but you can only move the whole thing and you have to follow the official MS steps to get it to work properly. However it sounds like you already have those files located on your larger drive (I have mine setup like that as well).

I don't know if you can move the entire install, but the  folders taking up all the space are the data folders. You can  move just those easily to another drive without messing up the install. If you then want to play those games again, just put the data folders back where they came from (use some method to note the proper path). (Looking at the size of the FI and RT data files I'd say they aren't in fact saved entirely again to the C drive (they should be much bigger.)

As an aside, if Photoshop is running slow because of disk space, have you moved the scratch disk to another drive? A small, cheap SSD dedicated solely to it would be ideal.

Edited by Offshoot
Clarity

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Iwas able to successfully move CM off of C and cleared about 21 GB of space.  The data files were already on D:since when I originally set up windows I made sure My Documents, pictures, Videos would be saved on my D:/Data drive.  Just windows and some software on C:

Clearing up the space still did not fix my photoshop problem which irks me because I have 64 GB of RAM and scratch disks.  But that is for the Photoshop forum folks to helpme with.

Thanks