12345 keys

You can't.

One day they'll bring the UI and its customisability into C21st. Maybe v4; Steve has been chuntering about a big UI upgrade and it probably being the focus of a new version. Might not be til they get out of OpenGL though, since that's the thing that's crippling them for scaling of the interface, apparently, and I'd imagine they'll want to get to "best we're gonna get" in one go rather than have two bites at it. That would make it much further in the future.

Yeah, I think those keys are locked. I use "F" for fast, and "Q" for quick, but lays out for me similar to this on a keyboard like I have it on a speedpad.  If you are trying to make hotkeys better for real time play I recommend you make "Q" fast. and quick "W" and so on for top row fast to slow, left to right.

Yeah, I think those keys are locked. I use "F" for fast, and "Q" for quick, but lays out for me similar to this on a keyboard like I have it on a speedpad.  If you are trying to make hotkeys better for real time play I recommend you make "Q" fast. and quick "W" and so on for top row fast to slow, left to right.

i used to use R qucik F reverse (good for vehicles), but now wanted to go heavy on keybinds, even wanted to bind deploy weapon to like ' Shift + 1 ' (it becomes < ! > in the interface panel) and shift + 2 for Acquire. but now since i cant use 123456 (without shift) it wont be easy binding all actions cos there are just too many and ctrl is not working either

Edited by Lacroix

Bind the common used, and use the space bar for order not given as often like administrative, and some specials. What I reccomend is get a Nostomo speedpad, and mouse with lots of programmable buttons. Really makes it possible to make any stock game control set optimized for efficiency. I control all games easily we these.

Edited by Vinnart

I can't recommend a decent multibutton mouse highly enough. Make sure it has sidescroll. I get very nearly 100% satisfactory camera movement using sidescroll for "track left/right" and the click-on-the-playing-field-and-drag method to pan and pitch. Only thing that remains hinky is the height adjustment which isn't as smooth as I'd like.

I covet a Nostromo or similar smashpad. Most of the commonly-used functions (Slow, Fast, Quick, Target Briefly, Target Light; remaining two buttons are "track forward and back"), I've bound to additional mouse keys on the G700, but I'd like to have the other keys "collected" on a separate game pad.