CMBS reading list?

Opfor Smartbook 3 - Red Team Army.

Well, I can't judge the book without reading it, but it cites sources that discussed doctrine that was out of date even when I was in the Russian Army from 1996-2002 and has become even more so post 08-08-08 war. It is discussing Soviet Army doctrine, which many countries do still use to certain extents, not 2017 Russian Army doctrine.  It is like reading Air-Land Battle doctrine or even Active Defence doctrine and saying that is a primer on how NATO fights in 2017.

It uses the old Soviet Army manuals, then extrapolates them into the present. I found it useful.

Russian doctrine hasnt really changed tactically since the Soviet times. The tactical principles are still the same, just the quality and type of equipment to apply to them has changed ,as has the reliance upon lower level leaders to use these principles instead of being directed to do so.

The soviet military considered a "tactical" unit in 1989 to be a battallion, now the AFRF considers it is a company. The introduction of battalion tactical groups as building blocks for creating task forces instead of using a battallion to attack along a 500m axis indicates this more flexible approach and the new reliance upon intuitive lower level leaders and NCOs that the west has been doing for some time. However in fighting the tactical battle and at levels CMBS is concerned with, the TTPs are still the same.

Edited by Stagler

• 2 weeks later...