Crash to desktop

Hi,

Tow rans perfectly on win xp, but now in windows 7 64bits dont. When I start a Campaing or a mission, it load, but whet the load finish, it crash toi desktop... I was ran it by administrator, turn off all antivirus, etc. And ran it with XP sp2 compatibility too, and nothing.

The same with all the pack I was purchased (Africa, Caen,...)

Sorry for my broken english, Ist not my native idiom.

Thanks in advance.

Do you have the 'uber patch' (1.10.0.81) installed ? Is this the same computer that was previously running Windows XP or is this a different computer that you are running Windows 7 and TOW on now ? What video card do you have in your computer ? Is this a laptop or a desktop computer ? The reason why that may be important is that a laptop can have both an 'integrated' video to typically run the Windows desktop and 2D applications and a dedicated video chip to run 3D and possibly video. Most of these dual graphics setups utilize Intel integrated video, which has a problem running TOW 1 (though newer chips may be able to run TOW 2 Africa/Kursk and TOW 3 Korea - just barely).

Are you using a driver that came with Windows 7 or did you install one from your video chip vendor (AMD/Radeon or Nvidia/GeForce) ?

No, It´s a new computer,APU AMD A10 6800 quad core, a desktop computer.It has an integrated video card, but its a good one, it runs Total War 2, for example or Arma2 without problems...

Driver, AMD Radeon.

I just tryed with ToW2:Kursk, Africa, and Caen, and always the same problem. It runs ok in the initial options, but when I chose a battle or a campaing, it crash to desktop when finish the load.

TOW 1 is an OpenGL based graphics engine while the TOW 2 and TOW 3 games utilize DirectX as the graphics engine/API. All of the games SHOULD run under Windows 7 64-bit (though there are workarounds necessary for the TOW 1 editors).

Your AMD APU will not have the issues I mentioned regarding the Intel integrated video since that is not present at all (the Intel integrated video - chipset or CPU based). TOW 1 specifically had problems with Intel integrated video (not Nvidia or AMD/ATI).

What driver do you have installed for your video ? I would assume that the AMD Richland APU graphics core should work with the games, though I've never tried them myself. I don't know which driver may be best for the TOW series, though it would seem somewhat strange to have similar crashing with both OpenGL and DirectX. If you are running the 13.12 Catalysts, then you may want to try an earlier driver (13.9, 13.4, etc.):

AMD Catalyst video drivers for Windows 7/8 - 64-bit

Are all of these TOW games from Battlefront or some other distributor (Steam, etc.) ? The difference will primarily be the copy-protection used (eLicense in the case of Battlefront) and the patches that are downloaded and installed.

What security software are you using ? Some security programs may need more than simply 'turning them off' since they may leave other components running that can interfere with the games and copy-protection systems. However such interference usually results in the game not running at all (no initial menu, etc.), which does NOT seem to be what you are experiencing.

Have you updated any of the games yet ? Even if these are recent downloads they will NOT be up-to-date. I'm not specifically aware of any updates that address issues with running under Windows 7 64-bit though.

Yes, Im running the last Catalyst driver. Yes, the same, I bought them in a pack, in Gamersgate.

I have Avast antivirus, but I trayed to play without it, not only turning it off.

I installed, erase, and try, I all posoble ways, without patchs, with them...

In another forum, people say to turn off 3 cores CPU, the hyperthreading in Bios...

hard case this one...

I don't think that turning off cores (or Hyperthreading in the case of Intel CPUs) is necessary for the game. I believe setting the 'affinity' (what CPU/core that the game runs on) will make a bigger difference (typically in performance rather than crashing). You can set 'affinity' for the game (after it is launched) by Alt-Tab'ing to the Windows desktop when you are at the game's main menu. Then perform a Ctrl-Alt-Del and click on 'Start Task Manager'. Go to the 'Processes' tab and highlight the game executable's name in the list. Right-click on this file name and select 'Set Affinity...' and in here UNCHECK 'All Processors' and then CHECK ONE of the CPU checkboxes. Close up the Task Manager and remaximize the program and see if that makes a difference. Typically I believe this helps with some performance issues, but it most likely will not resolve crashing when the 3D portion of the game launches.

You can also use Process Lasso to perform this process (setting affinity).

Gamersgate uses SecuROM on their discs for their copy-protection system. I'm not aware of all of the possible issues with this particular copy-protection system, however such issues usually involve the game not running AT ALL.

I think that the TOW 2 series typically installs the DirectX updates to DirectX 9.0c near the end of the install process. However you can also run this process yourself to make sure you have the latest files and to double-check that everything is up-to-date for DirectX 9.0c:

DirectX 9.0c Update (downloader/installer)

I had Directx 11 yet, and I CANT install 9... are you really a tech support?

The real thing is thah I havent any poroblem with no other game. Just with that game.

There are a lot of entrys with the same problem. Do you have rally a solution, or are you waste my time? because the "update to DirectX9" is a imposible path.

I just erase the direct11, and now I trying to fix all the disaster.

Yes, often the file that is 'missing' is a DirectX 9.0c related DLL file. Windows Vista and Windows 7 did NOT come with a full install of DirectX 9.0c related DLL files. If you look at the download that is linked you will see that it applies to both Windows Vista and Windows 7. I'm uncertain of its applicability to Windows 8.x. The game typically should run a DirectX 9.0c installer near the conclusion of the installation process (at least the Battlefront installer does - I'm uncertain of the Gamersgate installer).

In this particular case the game loads up, but crashes once it tries to load the 3D screen. Usually this suggests some sort of issue with the video drivers.