I am enjoying this game so much, but the AI is destroying me at sea, and my Central power fleets seem to exist mainly to improve Allied moral once they are destroyed.

If anyone has advice on how to play the naval system, I would love to hear it.

I am doing okay on land, but not as well as the real CP.

Magnificent game!

Vaalen,

you're facing the same problem you historical counterparts had to face.

Your opponent (the Entente) has a better strategic position, and a stronger fleet.

The German Hochseeflotte never dared to face the entire Royal Navy. If at all they tried to build up traps, but they were simply not strong enough to win the naval war.

That is why they preserved the Fleet most time of the war, and finally (and foolishly) decided to start the unrestricted sub warfare.

In short: you need good planing, a good build up, and a big portion of luck to do well in a naval engagement with the Royal Navy.

All other situatons will end like you described it: the german losses will probably decide the war (because of the National Morale losses, which the Germans usually can't afford, while the UK has nothing to lose and much to win from a 1:1, 2:1 or 1:2 naval loss ratio against a the German navy).

I don't say that it is impossible to do very well with the Central Powers navies, but in the North Sea it is very hard, and probably very expensive as well.

If you like you can read about my first try to use the German Hochseeflotte, which is described in this after action report (AAR).

But even if you don't read it (which i could understand completly), i would like to suggest that you play the game against a human player. It adds about 200% (or more) to the play fun.

:)

Vaalen,

you're facing the same problem you historical counterparts had to face.

Your opponent (the Entente) has a better strategic position, and a stronger fleet.

The German Hochseeflotte never dared to face the entire Royal Navy. If at all they tried to build up traps, but they were simply not strong enough to win the naval war.

That is why they preserved the Fleet most time of the war, and finally (and foolishly) decided to start the unrestricted sub warfare.

In short: you need good planing, a good build up, and a big portion of luck to do well in a naval engagement with the Royal Navy.

All other situatons will end like you described it: the german losses will probably decide the war (because of the National Morale losses, which the Germans usually can't afford, while the UK has nothing to lose and much to win from a 1:1, 2:1 or 1:2 naval loss ratio against a the German navy).

I don't say that it is impossible to do very well with the Central Powers navies, but in the North Sea it is very hard, and probably very expensive as well.

If you like you can read about my first try to use the German Hochseeflotte, which is described in this after action report (AAR).

But even if you don't read it (which i could understand completly), i would like to suggest that you play the game against a human player. It adds about 200% (or more) to the play fun.

:)

I did read a lot of your AAR, which is very interesting and shows the importance of using DDs and Subs to screen the battleships, and that hit and run is the best strategy for Germany. Thanks for the explanation, and I will learn a lot from your AAR!

Don't feel bad. I don't seem to do very well at the Naval game. First when I played as the CP, and now when I'm playing as the Entente. Right now the germans are whomping up on my Russians while they are in-port!

Thanks, that helps me feel better!