trouble with DSL IP configuration..

I have SWB DSL and can't seem to figure out how to get my machine to give me a correct ip. I run winipcfg.exe and am given three choices..PPP adapter, PPPoE Adapter, and Efficient Networks Speedstream 306.

The choices for these three are release, renew, release all, and renew all, and once or twice i have clicked the proper one(s), and the game has givin two address one of which worked. I just can't seem to remember what i had done.

I would use the IP that goes with the Efficient Networks Speedstream 306. This sounds like it is your DSL adapter. The other two sound like something that would be assigned to an analog modem.

IP assignment schemes vary across the country with DSL providers. If you're lucky (possibly depending on the type of DSL service you signed up for) your ISP will give you an unique/dedicated IP address (though dedicated is a bit rare nowadays).

It sounds like your dsl provider is not providing you with a static ip address but with a dynamic ip. PPPoe (IIRC Point to Point Protocol over ethernet) is used with the dynamic ip setup and should be bound to the network card in your pc that connects to the modem. It acts like dialup as each time you connect, it negotiates or "leases" a new ip from your isp. Since your ip changes all the time, hosting is not going to be easy, if you can do it at all....

For more info on how this works and perhaps divine the right answer (which I am not sure of) go to www.dslreports.com There is a ton of info there...

Double post.. sorry. BTW in the "tools" section of www.dslreports.com there is an app that will tell you your ip address, but that ip address may not be the ip address of the machine you are running CM on.. It is probably the IP address chosen by your ISP once PPPoe negotiates the "lease". That may or may not be the ip addy of your machine depnding on your setup. Certainly if you are behind a router, it most likely would not be your host pc's ip. The router would have to be configured to forward incoming requests to the proper ip addy for your host machine and the proper port for CM.

[This message has been edited by Lmandrake (edited 01-05-2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stormbringer:

I have SWB DSL and can't seem to figure out how to get my machine to give me a correct ip. I run winipcfg.exe and am given three choices..PPP adapter, PPPoE Adapter, and Efficient Networks Speedstream 306.

The choices for these three are release, renew, release all, and renew all, and once or twice i have clicked the proper one(s), and the game has givin two address one of which worked. I just can't seem to remember what i had done.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have hosted games before I just don't know what I did..this makes me think that it is possible..just don't know how

Maybe I shouldn't be posting as I don't fully understand this stuff, but you can get the IP the outside world sees by using this link- http://www.babygrrl.com/ip.shtml. You could then use winipcfg and see which device is using that ip. I have verizon dsl and get three devices in winipcfg. Two PPP adapters, one that shows the "outside world" ip I get from the web, one that shows gibberish and my NIC, which has its own ip assigned for a variety of reasons. IIRC if you set your NIC to obtain an IP address automatically by going to your network settings and clicking on "obtain address automatically" for where TCPIP binds to you NIC and you don't have a router or hardware or software firewall, you may be able to host. You will have a different IP address everytime you host... I just have a modem and a NIC and don't know why I have three entries in winipcfg....

Most DSL providers have dynamic ip addressing...