What brand of video card for an upgrade??

I am going to upgrade my video board. I have an older (but still works great) Cyrix 166 chip with 48 meg of RAM and a 4meg video board. I am looking for help in picking a compatible mid price video board. That way I will not have problems with CM later on. Any suggestions??

Unfortunately your CPU is a bit underpowered to take advantage of the latest video cards. You'll most likely be limited to PCI cards with your current motherboard. With questions about how the Voodoo series performs with CM (display capabilities and other issues), a safe recommendation would be a NVidia-based video card. A TNT2 PCI w/16 or 32Mb of RAM or a GeForceMX PCI should work. If you upgrade, then either of these video cards will continue to work (though they won't have the benefits of an AGP card).

There is a possibility however of problems with the driver. Some installations may balk at your CPU's speed during driver installation. You may be able to complete the installation or you may not. I'd suggest making sure that there is a good return/exchange policy on anything you buy.

Unfortunately Schrullenhaft is correct. Your CPU is, umm, how should I put it? ANCIENT. Actually you'd do yourself a favor if you'd just upgrade your machine. That Cyrix 166 chip ain't good for much these days.

I just went to a 1.2Ghz machine for a little over $1100.

Considering how old/slow that CPU is, you could buy a much faster CPU and a motherboard with on-board video (essentially no extra cost), all for about the same you'd pay for a half-decent video card, figure around $250 or so for some kind of P3 in the 450MHz range -- not blazing, but way faster than what you're running now. You can always spring for an AGP card a little later.