Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Crash solution CMBB

I had problems starting the game.

Screen went black after clicking the icon and the monitor led turned yellow, indicating no (or corrupt) screen signal.

This problem was described in the faq, but no suggested solutions were of any help.

My "trick" was this:

Run the game in Windows 98 compability mode!

(Right click game icon, click "properties", click "compability", check "Run this game in....")

My system is:

Windows XP.

AMD xp1700.

Geforce4 Ti4200.

"Windows 9x" compatibility mode should be unnecessary for your setup. The entire CM series should work fine in Windows XP without any compatibility settings (though they have temporarily solved problems for some users).

Do you know what resolution CMBB was running when you got the black/yellow screen ? Did this happen the very first time you ran CMBB ?

The first thing CM does when it is run is (on the PC) is to present resolutions for selection. The first resolution attempted is usually the current desktop resolution, but at a refresh rate that is the maximum supported by the video driver, not necessarily the monitor.

What this means is that CM could attempt your current desktop resolution (for example, 1024x768), but try it at a refresh rate that is much higher than what you're currently running (for example 120Hz, while you may currently be running 85Hz). Your monitor may not be capable of running at 120Hz, though your video driver may have that setting available. Many monitors may just present a black screen or give an error message for resolutions/refresh rates they can't display. Some older monitors may attempt to display the signal, but it will often look scrambled because it is beyond the monitor's capability to display it properly.

If this is your actual problem, then you may just want to wait awhile until CM attempts the next refresh rate lower. In my example CM may have started at 1024x768 at 120Hz, but it may try 100Hz next after waiting 5-10 seconds, then it may try 90Hz or whatever your video driver is capable of; progressing down to 60Hz before trying the next lower resolution (often 800x600 in this example), but again at the highest refresh rate offered by the video driver.

It's possible that 'compatibility mode' doesn't offer resolutions above 800x600 or higher refresh rates, I'm not sure.

If your monitor is defined as 'Default Monitor' in XP, then I suggest making another (driver) selection that is a bit more accurate since some users have run into strange display issues with the 'Default Monitor' definition. If you can, get the exact driver for your monitor, if not, then maybe the 'Plug and Play' driver or some other monitor definition with the same specifications should be a little better.

[ August 03, 2004, 02:05 PM: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]