Equalizing the tile layout for north-south vs east-west

I've often been thinking that the tile layout creates weird and "unfair" situations where it's much harder to create orthogonal defence lines than diagonal ones.

You need 50% more men, and the enemy can attack the line with an extra unit.

Therefore, I was thinking - would it be possible to limit movement between two enemy units in an orthogonal direction (squeezing between the two enemy tiles)? And would it be possible to prevent units from attacking between two tiles in an orthogonal direction if those two tiles were occupied by any units?

Something to muse about...

This can be changed by increasing the Adjacent Enemy Units Penalty in the editor.

In the relevant campaign, go to Campaign; Edit Movement Cost Data; and you'll see the Adjacent Enemy Units Penalty.

For 1914 Call to Arms it is set to +2. Feel free to experiment.

But I don't want to penalize any other tye of Adjacent Enemy Penalties, just the one in the case where a unit is moving through a north-south or east-west line of units where the units in a line only touch corner to corner (because of the tile layout). If I increased the adjacent unit penalty, it would be really hard even to move into contact with a normal battle line!

Imagine the V and A are tile corners occupied by German units, the French unit could move right between them unless there's another unit to prevent it.

V

A