No CM 1.1beta on Win2000 PC without Soundcard ?

Hi,

Might be this is something BTS want´s to look into.

I tried the TCP/IP beta patch on my Windows 2000 PC at work which has NO soundcard. It simply does not run at all, but generates the following error message [errorlog.txt]:

CPU speed rated at 1274

DirectSound error at creation: -2005401480

ERROR: GSound.cpp line 1739

Patch 1.05 and predecessors run fine and flawless though.

I guess [dangerous wink.gif] that the new *.exe has a problem with PCs that have no soundcard installed ?

Cheers

Helge

------------------

Sbelling chequed wyth MICROSOFT SPELLCHECKER - vorgs grate!

- The DesertFox -

Email: TheDesertFox@gmx.net

WWW: http://www.geocities.com/desertfox1891

[This message has been edited by TheDesertFox (edited 11-29-2000).]

[This message has been edited by TheDesertFox (edited 11-29-2000).]

Guest Madmatt

Okay, one thing to realize is that since it's a Beta it is much more prone to drop to the desktop than regular non-debug code. The reason for this is to generate useable info into the errorlog.txt file (which only is created with debug code.) I am not sure that in the non debug code a sound card is required. I will check with Charles. Did earlier versions work without a soundcard?

Madmatt

Matt,

Yes, all versions work on my Windows2000 PC which doesn´t have a soundcard. Everything runs fine, except the new 1.1beta which doesn´t even start.

Let me know if you need the DXDIAG.txt or further hardware info.

Helge

------------------

Sbelling chequed wyth MICROSOFT SPELLCHECKER - vorgs grate!

- The DesertFox -

Email: TheDesertFox@gmx.net

WWW: http://www.geocities.com/desertfox1891

I've got a two-year-old Turtle Beach soundcard that's also giving a GSound error that causes 1.1 to drop to the desktop as it's launched:

GSound.cpp 2479

ERROR: GSound.cpp line 676

1.05 works properly with this card. Think I'm running the most recent driver, but I need to check that.

Guest Madmatt

I just heard from Charles. The beta will not work if it doesnt detect a soundcard due to the error reporting code that is running (that is also why it drops to desktop more frequently). The official version will play fine, you just won't have any sounds.

The beta is not nearly as tolerant of device or driver errors as the official versions and we are aware of that and it is 100% intentional. The code will force the game to drop to the desktop to indicate that there is a problem and also generates that full errrolog.txt file which Charles uses to track down and fix issues. This is a Beta and is the type the testers have used for over a year to do our testing, as such these types of issues will occur. But when thye do, we need those errorlogs and Bug report Forms sent in.

Thanks!

Madmatt

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 12-01-2000).]