How come PBEM file size balloons from 1.5MB to 66 MB

generally, bolded like that is someone's name. I'm playing a scen and - IMO - the map is redonkulously large compared to the forces and, most especially, the location of the action. The post is a suggestion that the scen author take note of the many merits of viciously truncating maps so they fit the forces and action.

generally, bolded like that is someone's name. I'm playing a scen and - IMO - the map is redonkulously large compared to the forces and, most especially, the location of the action. The post is a suggestion that the scen author take note of the many merits of viciously truncating maps so they fit the forces and action.

ahh the fog lifts momentarily....like I said the blatantly obvious.....I need a nap.

Just an FYI, Broadsword cut most of the unneeded portion of the master map and with the same forces and detailed area of the map we are now running on a 20+meg file.

Yes, and for the record, the total map size is now 1888 x 2480.

The battle area with all the detail and objects on it is much smaller than that (maybe 1500 x 1500).

So, 4 x 4 km master maps seem to work fine as long as you keep a "clean" object-free version as your template, detail only each battle area as you fight it (deleting objects for previously fought-over places) and then cut the edges in for each battle.