Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

How to turn anti-aliasing off?

Feikki

I have radeon 9500 pro and the yellow text in white background problem. The solution from troubleshooting would be to turn anti-aliasing off

but I don't seem to find where to do it. Going to display properties -> settings -> advanced -> direct 3d/opengl has under smoothvision II a "anti-aliasing application preference box" but according to manual choosing that option only lets

programs decide. I've tested it and it doesn't solve the problem.

So, where can I actually turn the anti-aliasing off?

That would be how you would turn off Smoothvision (antialiasing) for the Radeon family. "Application preference" means that the application has to specify/control the antialiasing. For a vast majority of games on the market this means that antialiasing is off for all intents and purposes. Most games can't specify the antialiasing state for all the videocards on the market (you would have to know how to do it for each card and each signifcant revision in the driver). To my knowledge there isn't a DirectX/OpenGL call that videocards would would use to control the antialiasing state, thus it is a bit of a hassle for most game developers to use this method of controlling the antialiasing and instead they rely on the the display driver's control panel setting.

You can replace the text bitmaps for the game to make the text a bit more visible (different color combinations). You may have already seen the troubleshooting guide for CMAK. The fifth one for the ATI Radeons links to a file to download. There's some instructions within the zip file on what you specifically need to do.

[ December 21, 2003, 03:56 PM: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]