What's up with Bulgarian Diplomacy?

Ever since I noticed that Bulgaria had 70% readiness on its own at the turn of the year (1914-1915) I invested all the chits the Central Powers have on Bulgaria. I have had exactly one diplomacy hit, and now it's August 28 1915,

and this is with 65% chance per turn. This is beyond bad luck, and before you say it, my opponent tells me he hasn't invested anything in Bulgaria, so unless he flat-out lied to my face for no reason, something's up with the scripts, for this game, at least.

Has anyone had similar experiences? Am I not supposed to invest in Bulgaria and let it enter the war on its own terms? If so, I've wasted my diplomacy efforts big time, there was no documentation for this.

I am also a bit confused. Much effort placed there and no real progress. They enter always very late and then not in the same helpful manner like historically.

I guess there is some connection to progress on another front which seems to be overpowered. Maybe something on the Russian front?

Hi Glabro

If the Diplomacy screen is saying that you've invested enough chits for a 65% chance per turn, and your opponent hasn't invested in diplomacy against Bulgaria, then you have indeed faced an unfortunate and unlikely string of bad luck.

The chance of a diplomatic success isn't dependent on your successes, or lack thereof, against the Serbs.

Just to clarify the role of scripts in this:

• Bulgaria will move towards entering the war if the Central Powers have some successes against the Serbs, firstly by capturing Belgrade and then by taking Nish.
  • These successes on their own can lead to Bulgaria joining the Central Powers, and are governed by scripts that aren't connected to your diplomatic investments.

Hopefully your diplomacy will have some luck soon. Alternatively, sending some German infantry and artillery with a HQ to the Belgrade area might help to rekindle your fortunes here.

I generally deploy the Austro-Hungarian 2nd Army against Serbia rather than to face the Russians so as to capture Belgrade early on. This does leave you at a disadvantage against the Russians, so it is a hard choice to make but because it will reduce the power of Serbia and also encourage the Bulgarians, on balance I think it is worth doing more often than not.

The odds are so low (We're talking tens of turns here) that I find it more likely that there is an unknown factor at play rather than just bad luck. But I suppose if you say so, Bill, nothing can be done about it. I will make an experiment though: I will load a turn and press end turn twenty times if I have to see if I get a diplomatic success (unless the end turn results are pre-determined, which I don't think they are based on my earlier "crash" and redoing of a turn).

Edit: I got a hit on the 6th try, apparently with 20% opposition from the Entente (so if it outright reduces chances, it's with a 40% chance).

Probably I'm just having consistently bad luck then with Bulgaria as you said...hard though it may be to believe since the odds are something like one in ten thousand...(for failing ten turns in a row with 60% chance).

I did manage to beat back the Entente in a bloody way from Hungary with German assistance just like you said, Bill. I can do this thing with or without the cowardly (no offense intended in real life) Bulgarians!

Perhaps the reluctance of the Bulgars is what made the Entente attack there, enabling me to defeat them, so it may have even played to my favor somewhat. Now though, it's past time!

Nah, the Bulgarians decided not to advance for 5 more rounds (just needed that one more success) and then I made a brainfart of cataclysmic proportions and operated the Constantinople garrison away to secure another less important port city, and promptly on the next turn the Soviets landed on Constantinople. D'oh. So, I lost the whole thing partly because I didn't have those Bulgarian troops to secure my borders, but more because of that.

We might continue from before I made that stupid brainfart, though, just to see how the game would've ended otherwise.