Casualty Report

In spite of all controversy regarding the alleged under-effectiveness of MG teams and Snipers I find that, consulting the end of battle stats, these units tend to rack up impressive # of kills. A dozen by the marksman in Operation Eisenbahn, for example. Then there was this battle (Pouppeville?), played in RT, which I halted after 15 minutes with a Tactical victory. The unit was Elite, but frankly these numbers seem implausible:

55836286.jpg

Total casualties for the Germs was about 80. Is experience over-valued? :)

EDIT: The image is clipped. Enemy Casualties by that single squad should read 49.

I don't know if this helps, but thru much of the fighting in the bocage, German snipers were probably second only to the mortars in casualties to American infantry caught in the bocage fields. The MGs were mostly effective at keeping the infantry pinned down in the middle of the fields, where they could be hit by mortars or picked off the snipers. The snipers could kill them as they hugged the ground, which was apparently harder for the MGs to do. One top commander estimated that half his casualties were from snipers during one operation. Another PL reported losing an entire squad of inexperienced infantry to a single sniper in a matter of a few minutes. They were all flat on the ground at the time.

FWIW