Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Infantry bug ?

I'm playing Carbide Carbide against another player at the moment and i had a 9 man US rifle squad prone in a wood engaging a HMG team in foxholes at a distance of 90 meters, they engaged the MG position just as the turn clock ran out so i gave them a target command during the orders phase rather than just let them carry on, when the new turn started the squad sustained two quick casualties and became pinned and rattled, but rather than retreat they ran straight at the MG position and got slaughtered, they even jumped a fence within 40 meters of the enemy MG then did a u turn and got killed trying to climb a hedge.

Now i know some wierd things happen in combat but ive never heard of a squad running "at" the enemy in fright, i was absolutely mortified when i saw what was happening, please tell me this is a bug.

AIUI.

When units break they run towards the map edge which has been defined as "Friendly" by the map/scenario designer. If that edge is "past" the enemy (either because you've enveloped the foe, or because you're supposed to be moving towards it), then "paniced" troops will go "through" the enemy.

AIUI.

When units break they run towards the map edge which has been defined as "Friendly" by the map/scenario designer. If that edge is "past" the enemy (either because you've enveloped the foe, or because you're supposed to be moving towards it), then "paniced" troops will go "through" the enemy.

I will have to check the friendly map edges but i doubt it is the reason as the edge they were running to was a side edge not a front or rear edge.

Shrug? It does sound unusual.

Here's a thought - did they have ammo for their rifles etc? Maybe all they had was grenades, and the targeting order compelled them to rush the MG? Wild speculation on my behalf, no more.

They were a fresh unit and it was their first engagement, i will send you the turn and my password so you can see it for yourself if thats ok with you, if it is how do you want me to send you the file ?, dropbox or box.net, i use both.

I see what you mean. That MG really went to town - but I think I know what happened.

If you follow the first guy to get up and run, he somehow sidesteps a full belt from MG and runs through the hedge in front of it and takes a position not far from from where he started... just on the other side of the hedge - I think the AI tried to take cover when he came under fire, the final position was a good choice, the 'best' way to get there happened to be through the middle of a kill-sack.

Needs more bocage-holes. The AI is actually pretty good at taking cover, but not determining the safest path through labyrinthine bocage (he always takes the quickest route). It was an accident waiting to happen.

I see what you mean. That MG really went to town - but I think I know what happened.

If you follow the first guy to get up and run, he somehow sidesteps a full belt from MG and runs through the hedge in front of it and takes a position not far from from where he started... just on the other side of the hedge - I think the AI tried to take cover when he came under fire, the final position was a good choice, the 'best' way to get there happened to be through the middle of a kill-sack.

Needs more bocage-holes. The AI is actually pretty good at taking cover, but not determining the safest path through labyrinthine bocage (he always takes the quickest route). It was an accident waiting to happen.

I agree, after watching it a few times i heard one of the guys say "Lets get out of here" which means they were trying to retreat but as you say the path selection was dubious to say the least :), this is the first time i have seen this so it's not really an issue at the moment if it only happens once in a few hundered turns.