CMBB & CMAK trying to connect to the internet when I'm not in TCP/IP mode?

I've been noticing this for the last little while but recently it's become more disruptive.

While I'm playing CMBB or CMAK, usually a PBEM file, the game will get interrupted and dump me back to the desktop. Thereon will be a message from my Firewall stating that CMBB or CMAK "needs to communicate with the internet". In the details section, it states that the "program wants to communicate to a remote computer over the UDP protocol."

I've never used the TCP/IP function, and this interruption is occurring during PBEM files. I see no reason why CM would need to communicate with the internet.

I'm running Windows XP Home.

I've seen this too (solo play) and I'm not sure why it does it. It may be just OpenPlay modules initializing and there may be no way of changing this behavior without a lot of additional code that could break something (coding around the OpenPlay API).

If you're using a software firewall that can have programs pre-defined as being capable of communicating over the internet (such as ZoneAlarm, etc.), then I suggest setting CM to be allowed to communicate without interrupting you (or preventing the action). This should prevent your firewall from popping you out of CM to notify you that an internet communication was stopped.