Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Sitting duck - again...

This might be a case of being unlucky or remembering CM*1 differently, but it seems that the AI now is very good at punishing you with mortars and artillery. It has happened several times that I've had infantry in good firing positions that I don't want to abandon and then, after 4-5 min, the shells start pouring down on my position. This or I just left the position. I'm trying to remember (this is hard...) not to stay stationary for too long, but sometimes you just don't want to push forward too hard. What are your experiences with this? Did this use to happen in CM*1 as often?

They've definitely improved the way AI handles artillery in this game over the last one. Just wait til you play a scenario which includes AI TRPs. Then you'll know the full horror of it all. Death from the skies, with no warning. Carnage.

Though once you geek all the spotters, it does seem to default to desultory shelling of long-ago-irrelevant TRP locations. In my last few minutes of "La Haye du Puits", it's shelling an orchard that 30 minutes ago held a rifle platoon and some engineers. That would have been a telling blow. As it is, it's irrelevant.

My limited recollection of CMx1, the AI really only used arty in prep. bombardments, as it hadn't the capacity to use it at all effectively once things got dynamic.