Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Map editor question?

The question has been raised in another thread, but hasn't drawn any "official" answer yet :) .

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=99216

Is it reasonable to expect in a future patch or module a tool giving the map designer more room for mistakes, changes of mind, etc...in a word more flexibility than with the current editor where all must be made from scratch? (ability to expand a map in any direction without "anchorage" limitation, import or copy/paste tool or meta-tiles system)

My computer specs make it very hard to work directly on large maps for example, as 3D preview loading time increases dramatically with the map dimensions. working on 400x400 sections is easy. The only way to assemble several such tiles is to edit a big map then to reduce the map size to focus on the desired part, without forgetting to bring it to its original size before quitting.

(Unfortunately, the editor doesn't keep track of the flavor objects placed in the momentarily erased tiles :( )

The mentioned thread gives an idea of some of the benefits that this kind of tool could provide for campaigns design.

I know that meta-tiles are on the horizon but I would not expect them any earlier than the next family of games. I think for now we are stuck with what we have. Just not enough time in the day to get everything that you want into the system.

That probably goes for the other additions that I would love to see in the map making module.

1. Flavour objects pictures instead of numbers

2. More independent buildings

3. Water allowed in multiple levels

4. Vineyards

I think we have what we have as it would be very difficult to introduce new concepts within a game family. Even if introduced in a patch, not everyone would have the same patch and so vineyards would be vineyards in my game but perhaps yours will normal grass or wire fencing.

It may be interesting to see what will be introduced for the next CB-Bulge game.