Blocks of Brown Appearing on Ground

I have seen references to a problem I am also having in past threads in which no solution was offered. Perhaps I missed the thread with the right fix.

Brown shaded rectangular areas begin to appear on the ground across the map after a few turns, worsening until the map is largely obscured. Does anyone know how to cure this?

Thanks

What video card do you have and what version of the drivers do you have installed ? I've heard of this problem with the Voodoo 3 series (and maybe the Voodoo 4/5 series ?). Usually it is referred to as the "white out" problem, though it is possible that other colors may come up instead.

For the Voodoo series this turns out to be a driver problem that most consistently happened with AGP cards and screen resolutions over 1024 x 768 (though a number of PCI cards also exhibited this problem).

This problem was supposedly addressed with a driver update from 3dfx. This didn't seem to fix the problem for everyone however. Some people claimed that the problem went away when they 1) upgraded the driver 2) upgraded to DirectX 8.0.