New Voodoo 1.08 drivers on Voodoo3 Mac

Fate

Hi, I'm the RAVE guy at 3dfx. You can email me with bug reports on CM <mailto: rswartz@3dfx.com>. CM support is a high priority for me.

On the Voodoo 4 & 5, I think we have perfect support, except for the problem with the ESC key (severe corruption).

The 1.0.8 drivers are not for the Voodoo 3. We don't have "unified" drivers yet, despite some news reports to the contrary. I mean, they sort of work on the V3, but the team hasn't tested them.

I last tested CM on the V3 a few days ago with the latest RAVE driver (not released yet) and it ran pretty well. There is a small area in the uppper left corner that isn't rendering correctly, but it isn't too bad.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Baboon2:

On the Voodoo 4 & 5, I think we have perfect support, except for the problem with the ESC key (severe corruption).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How's the smoke & transparency? And what's the "severe corruption" problem?

I'm using a Rage Orion at present but I'm looking at getting a new machine in fairly short order and I'm undecided which way I'm going to go graphics-card-wise. Here's your chance to sell me. wink.gif

------------------

Leland J. Tankersley

i have no idea what this "RAVE" driver is.

does this have anything to do with the "white-out" effect with the voodoo 3 3000 cards? i really would like to play combat mission at 1280x1024, but that keeps happening. screen goes completely white.

i am glad to hear someone at 3DFX considers getting combat mission running correctly on voodoo cards a high priority.

perhaps one day soon my daily check here to see if it has been fixed will will be rewarding. fingers crossed.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by L.Tankersley:

How's the smoke & transparency? And what's the "severe corruption" problem?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The smoke and transparency are perfect. The "severe corruption" only occurs when you either hit the <esc> key or, in a multi-monitor system, switch out by clicking on the desktop of the 2nd monitor. I'm still working on protecting against this, but I'm not sure what's going on, and I hear it happens on PC systems, too.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Baboon2:

The smoke and transparency are perfect. The "severe corruption" only occurs when you either hit the <esc> key...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It appears the forum software has this annoying habit of removing anything between angle brackets. The above text was supposed to say "Escape" key.

Hello Baboon 2.

It great to hear that you, and 3Dfx, are giving high priority to CM. It has been my one big disappointment with the voodoo 5 card.

I'm currently using a voodoo 5 PCI in a 450 MHz G4. The driver version for the card is 1.10. I still do not have transparent smoke effects. The building transparency now works, but with high smoke detail turned on, the smoke actually looks worse than it does at normal detail. There is no transparency, and there is a lot of clipping in the smoke column.

Also, a minor gripe would be the visible lines that show up often where tiles intersect. The most obvious examples can be seen on dirt roads that move diagonally across the map.

Oh, another thing that looks odd is that the text windows are often slightly garbled with the voodoo 5. Some letters will appear upside down, backwards, or othwerise messed up.

I love the full scene anti-aliasing, but right now, CM actually looks better with my ATI rage 128 than it does with the voodoo 5.

Is there anything that can be done about these issues?

Thanks

prtizl

[This message has been edited by pritzl (edited 10-11-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pritzl:

I still do not have transparent smoke effects.

Oh, another thing that looks odd is that the text windows are often slightly garbled with the voodoo 5. Some letters will appear upside down, backwards, or othwerise messed up.

I love the full scene anti-aliasing, but right now, CM actually looks better with my ATI rage 128 than it does with the voodoo 5.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for this excellent feedback.

I actually thought I had the smoke right, but now I think I must compare with the ATI card and fix it.

I spent yesterday trying to fix the odd problem with narrow characters. It appears to involve bitmaps having dimensions such as 1x12. Voodoo hardware has a problem with aspect ratios greater than 8:1, and I think this is the basic problem. But I should be able to compensate somehow in the driver.

I agree with you that 4xFSAA adds a lot to CM.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fate:

You've seen my posts on comp.sys.mac.games.stratgic with the txtures getting rendered ats the BT logo and the Go button.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I tested the V3 yesterday and the "ESC" bug is fixed there, too. And the smoke.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pritzl:

If it's possible to reduce the grid appearence, that would be the icing on the cake.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is a low priority, I'm afraid, since it looked the same to me on an ATI card. I know that's not the ultimate standard, but it indicates that it may be a problem with the tiling of textures in the game code.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by weeskwee:

i have no idea what this "RAVE" driver is.

does this have anything to do with the "white-out" effect with the voodoo 3 3000 cards? i really would like to play combat mission at 1280x1024, but that keeps happening. screen goes completely white.

i am glad to hear someone at 3DFX considers getting combat mission running correctly on voodoo cards a high priority.

perhaps one day soon my daily check here to see if it has been fixed will will be rewarding. fingers crossed.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The white-out happens to me, too. Is there any win98 driver patch that will fix it. What about work-arounds?