From a cursory Google search, it doesn't appear the SC series has a tradition of user graphics mods similar to say TOAW. I am well satisfied with the appearance of the game overall (except for the giant cities and towns) but I would love to see some jazzed up unit counters. For instance, the various surface ship naval counters carry the same ship profile for the Dreadnought, cruiser, and the destroyer. Obviously, the vast preponderance of the effort went into the sprites, but I just "see the board" far far better with counters. Unfortunately, I have no artistic skills in this department.

I agree with some better unit counters in the NATO tradition, perhaps with the names on them, no one does that. Actually back in the SC1 days there was more modding, jbunnel was one of the best, but as usual Hubert saw the writing on the wall and made the adjustments.

Now, like you said, the sprites are very well done, better the emphasis goes into gameplay, besides, I believe a mix is the best, units in the NATO tradition, air and sea sprites.