The OQF 25 punder in next module?

With the current omission of on map versions of the US 105mm howitzer and the 75mm Pack Howitzer (going to see that one in the Arnhem module, surely?) I was wondering what will happen in the much anticipated Brit/Commonwealth/30th AG module with the 25 pdr.

I do hope we are going to see this famous gun.

Considering what happened to the poor thing in CMBO, I'd say it is owed a favour. ;)

I assume you mean on-map... as off-map artillery would be pretty much a no-brainer.

Indeed.

How much was it used as a direct-fire weapon in Normandy? (I'm asking; I don't know) If the answer is more than "extremely rarely", then I'd say you've got a decent chance of seeing it.

I think the answer is 'never.'

Yeah, on map, sorry. OP clarified.

I'm not entirely sure myself how often it was used for direct fire this stage of the war. Definitely not much German armoured breakthroughs in need of repelling by direct firing artillery in the rear lines, a la North Africa.

But then again the fighting did take place in a bit more open terrain so batteries placed forward (and Brits were never shy in the forward deployment of their guns) could easily have been in a position to fire directly across the open fields around Caen.

I just like the gun to be honest. Every bit as pretty as that other 88.

*edit*

30th AG. How the hell did that get written down? 21st AG, of course. Probably thinking of XXX Corps what with mentioning Arnhem just before.

I'm not entirely sure myself how often it was used for direct fire this stage of the war. Definitely not much German armoured breakthroughs in need of repelling by direct firing artillery in the rear lines, a la North Africa.

There was at least one instance during BLUECOAT, but that was Panthers vs Sextons. I'm not aware of any actions involving the 25-pr in direct fire in NWE.

But then again the fighting did take place in a bit more open terrain so batteries placed forward (and Brits were never shy in the forward deployment of their guns) could easily have been in a position to fire directly across the open fields around Caen.

True. Blackburn mentions at least one instance where he was in position to engage German infanrty moving back on the Verrieres ridge with direct fire from his gun position on the other side of the Orne. He didn't, though, because the situation wasn't clear - his battery had nothing to do with whatever was going on over there. ISTR another occasion where his regt was positioned west of Caen(?) and sort-of under direct observation of german positions on a higher ridge to the south (across the Odon?). I think they may also have received direct 88mm fire at that position, but would need to check that.

However, both those - assuming I've even remembered them correctly :rolleyes: - are very much edge cases that I think would make totally sucky CMBN scenarios.

I just like the gun to be honest. Every bit as pretty as that other 88.

Iduitably. It'd be kind-of complex though, what with the Quad, and the limber, and the traversing platform.