Optics damage only reffering to commanders optics ?

While i was experimenting around with some tanks i placed a tiger around 1000m away from 6 sherman (2x 76mm and 4 75mm) just because i was curious if the tiger would beat all the tanks until the shermans would take out his optics, radio etc. and he could not defend himself anymore.

Their were 3 shermans left when the tigers optics and radio were completely destroyed (red X) the tiger was buttoned but still the crew (or at least the gunner) could spot shermans and the gunner was able to kill those tanks without problems from 1000m away.

my question is: is it possible that those destroyed optics are reffering only to the commanders inside optics to spot targets and not to the gunners aiming optics ? because if the gunners optics would be destroyed he should not be able to kill targets from 1000m away, or am i wrong ?!

sorry iam just curious and havent found any informations inside the manual to what optics the damage report is actually reffering to...

hm, in my setup, after the optics of the tiger were destroyed, he missed not a single time. he fired 5 shots at 3 targets and each shot hit (one sherman even on the move) at 1000m away. my guess now is that optic damage only makes it harder to spot enemys while buttoned but doesnt affect the aiming optic !?

hm, in my setup, after the optics of the tiger were destroyed, he missed not a single time. he fired 5 shots at 3 targets and each shot hit (one sherman even on the move) at 1000m away. my guess now is that optic damage only makes it harder to spot enemys while buttoned but doesnt affect the aiming optic !?

Just some thoughts. a) Obviously, what is the experience level of the crew? B) Did you move the Shermans around? What could also explain what you are seeing is that when the optics were still functional, the tiger had already determined the range to the Shermans. Since units in CMBN have a memory of spotted units, it could very well be that by the time the damage had been done to optics, the range estimates were accurate enough to produce the results that you saw.

You can check this by presenting the tiger with new targets, far from known Sherman positions.

actually i repeated the test with tiger crew regular and veteran and both times all the shots, after the optics were gone, were hits. also the tiger sighted tanks after his optics were gone that he havent spotted before, shot at them and hit them first time. so the range finding could not be done for this tanks before the optics were gone.

but i start to believe that after those strange "upper hull front" behaviour of the tiger this is another issue about this tank because i`ve also tested it with the jagdpanzer IV and the moment his optics were gone all targets, that he saw before this moment, were instantly "?" at 1000m range. Just like it should be. but on the other hand maybe this 88mm gun is really better at fighting targets even when the optics are gone dont know...

But to get back to my original question i would read out of your comments that it is official that optics damage include the gunner optic !?

actually i repeated the test with tiger crew regular and veteran and both times all the shots, after the optics were gone, were hits. also the tiger sighted tanks after his optics were gone that he havent spotted before, shot at them and hit them first time. so the range finding could not be done for this tanks before the optics were gone.

but i start to believe that after those strange "upper hull front" behaviour of the tiger this is another issue about this tank because i`ve also tested it with the jagdpanzer IV and the moment his optics were gone all targets, that he saw before this moment, were instantly "?" at 1000m range. Just like it should be. but on the other hand maybe this 88mm gun is really better at fighting targets even when the optics are gone dont know...

But to get back to my original question i would read out of your comments that it is official that optics damage include the gunner optic !?

Don't know, was just offering my uniformed 2 cents :). Do make sure that the new targets are not near the old ones, because of the memory effect.

Surely a Jagdpanzer IV suffers because it does not have the fine traverse of the Tiger. Provided someone can notice the strike of the shell fine adjustments can be made by the Tiger.

At 1000 metres were any hatches opened? I mean it may not be shown in game but I would think a T/C would make efforts to report shot. The chances of being hit by a tank MG would be lowish at that range.