Video card upgrade

Some time ago I posted a question about an upgrade to see fog! Essentially, my problem was having a Compaq :rolleyes: with an Intel 810 graphics chipset :rolleyes: . Many people here and elsewhere thought that would cause a problem of incompatibility.

OK after moving heaven and earth and surfing about the entire internet I finally got a straight answer from Compaq, that most any card should fit in my model (7594) but I have to do a lot of stuff that I will leave to some techie I can find around here.

Question is, is there anymore else I should know, any piece of info you can think of, any warning before I rush to buy a Riva TNT2 Blaster which is at a good price in a local store?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by caralampio:

Question is, is there anymore else I should know, any piece of info you can think of, any warning ...?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>One piece of advice I can think of:

Avoid Compaq computers in the future, if you have any intention of upgrading the hardware later on.

There seems to be a PC standard and a Compaq standard, and those are usually incompatible...

(I think Dell is slightly better than Compaq, in this respect.)

Cheers

Olle

Guest ckoharik

In my personal experience with Dell is most definitely more compatible with upgrades than Compaq PCs that are targeted towards Home users. Not once have I encountered a piece of hardware that could not be installed into a Dell. Compaq's problem usually was either a BIOS issue or a space issue.

As for the TNT2 card I would say go for it. I used to have a Viper 770 (TNT2 based card) and it performed quite admirably. But, I'd make sure I bought it from somewhere that had a good return policy just in case the compatibility issue rears its ugly head. Also, are you going for a PCI or AGP version? Is there enough space in the case for it? No cables, etc. in the way?

[ 05-11-2001: Message edited by: Panzer Boxb ]

Try reading the earlier thread on fog posted recently. From what I understand ATI based cards are behind in fog support. While cards with the Nvidia chip will suport fog( I cant say much more..As I'm going over my head..). You can try Anandtech for reviews and post your questions on their forum.