Purchasing untis for QB question?

All,

I skimmed the manual and couldn't find the answer so figured someone on here might know.

When you are purchasing units, what do the two columns on the left hand side mean (in regards to points spent). I believe the right most one is rarity.

So, when I am purchasing units, I assume I have to keep one of them in green but which one?

Thx

jonpfl

left hand side is total plus any bonuses for attacker defender etc

right hand column is the same but with a rarity restriction amount available

so when purchasing too many high rarity units the amount will turn red once you exceed the limit and have to modify the selection

depending on the rarity thats set prior to battle

left hand side is total plus any bonuses for attacker defender etc

right hand column is the same but with a rarity restriction amount available

so when purchasing too many high rarity units the amount will turn red once you exceed the limit and have to modify the selection

depending on the rarity thats set prior to battle

So, if rarity is set to standard, which number do I have to abide by and keep green?

You must keep both numbers green.

So is the left most number the total cost w/o rarity being included while the right most number with rarity included

I assume that if you turn off rarity, those numbers will be correct, right?

Thx

jonpfl

yea thats right,both in the green

you will notice units have 2 prices left hand price is actual cost,right hand side is rarity cost

so lets say you have 1000 points to spend total and you have 500 rarity points,spend the points how you like,but choose units that wont put you over the rarity amount.

an example might be 1 tiger may have a 500 point rarity value,so if you choose to have it,you must buy the rest of your units that have 0 rarity cost to make the remaining points

yea thats right,both in the green

you will notice units have 2 prices left hand price is actual cost,right hand side is rarity cost

so lets say you have 1000 points to spend total and you have 500 rarity points,spend the points how you like,but choose units that wont put you over the rarity amount.

an example might be 1 tiger may have a 500 point rarity value,so if you choose to have it,you must buy the rest of your units that have 0 rarity cost to make the remaining points

How do you know how many points and rarity points you have? Are they seperate entities?

I was thinking that a tiger might be 500 pts but with rarity turned on, it is actually 750 pts

Are points to spend and rarity points different things?

Thx

jonpfl

its listed in the right hand column total rarity points

rarity points arent the actual cost of a unit

the unit will cost x amount and have x amount rarity value

the system works in such a way as to stop you buying too many rare items,such as tigers or the like

looks like this

1000 points to spend on units

500 rarity points to use

so let say a sherman 75 costs 200 points and costs 400 rarity

leaves you with 800 points to spend but only 100 points rarity left

forcing you to buy common units which typically have 0 rarity cost

with me?

my samples are just examples and not actual costs of the units in game

Darn it, Simmox beat me to it...

There are two columns of numbers on the left hand side of the screen when purchasing units. The first (left) column denotes the points value of the units and the second (right) column denotes the rarity value of the units. You will see that each unit has two numbers nect to it, the first (left) is the points value and the second (right) is the rarity value.

The columns on the left hand side of the screen are then split into three rows. The first (top) is the amount of points you are allowed to spend in the scenario. The second (middle) is the amount of points you have spent already on units. And the third (bottom) is the amount of points remaining to be spent. This applies to both points value and rarity.

So if you start with 1000 points for units and 1000 points of rarity you would see:

1000 / 1000

0 / 0

1000 / 1000

If you then purchased a Tiger for (at a guess) 500 points and 750 rarity points you would see.

1000 / 1000

500 / 750

500 / 250

As long as the BOTTOM numbers are both green, you may proceed with that currently chosen force. If one, or both, are red, then you have overspent and need to reduce the cost of your force.

make sense?

Darn it, Simmox beat me to it...

There are two columns of numbers on the left hand side of the screen when purchasing units. The first (left) column denotes the points value of the units and the second (right) column denotes the rarity value of the units. You will see that each unit has two numbers nect to it, the first (left) is the points value and the second (right) is the rarity value.

The columns on the left hand side of the screen are then split into three rows. The first (top) is the amount of points you are allowed to spend in the scenario. The second (middle) is the amount of points you have spent already on units. And the third (bottom) is the amount of points remaining to be spent. This applies to both points value and rarity.

So if you start with 1000 points for units and 1000 points of rarity you would see:

1000 / 1000

0 / 0

1000 / 1000

If you then purchased a Tiger for (at a guess) 500 points and 750 rarity points you would see.

1000 / 1000

500 / 750

500 / 250

As long as the BOTTOM numbers are both green, you may proceed with that currently chosen force. If one, or both, are red, then you have overspent and need to reduce the cost of your force.

make sense?

Yup, perfect sense now. Pretty slick way of Battlefront to handle it!

I assume there is a way to turn rarity off in which case the 2nd column doesn't matter, right?

Yes sir, there is indeed. If you turn rarity off the second column with show 'Infitite' in believe and you may choose the rarest, least commonly seen units in Normandy to your hearts content! Assuming you have the unit purchase points. :)

Since the technical answers are already here, I'll just put in some background on why it is like this.

In CMx1's rarity system a player was penalized for buying a rare unit. Good! That's what it was supposed to do. But it did this by reducing the points available to purchase other units. That wasn't so good. Why should you not be able to buy common infantry because you chose to buy a rare armored car or a poorer quality tank that was basically out of service at this point in the war?

From a force perspective, in real life, there would be no such tradeoff. In once instance A Company would attack with a platoon of really great (but common) tanks and two platoons of infantry, in another instance C Company would attack with a platoon of extremely crappy (but rare) tanks and two platoons of infantry. The force structure would be the same, but the capabilities different. In CMx1 this was not possible because buying the rarer (and crappier) tanks would mean not having enough points to purchase the same amount of infantry as if buying more common (and better) tanks.

The new system fixes this 100% by having the Cost of the units be based purely on capability. A completely separate pool of Rarity points restricts how many rare things you have in the mix. Which means the above hypothetical company sized forces are now possible.

Steve