Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Activated militia detachments - why only CP?

Germany (esp. Germany -- just the eastern front?), AH, and Turkey get militia/Landsturm/home guards detachments springing up when the enemy approaches many cities, yet none of the TE powers get the same advantage.

If the CP get this benefit, I think at least Russia should as well. They have the longest front to cover of any of the powers and the largest manpower reserves. How about at least having the Russian equivalent of militia spring up along the coastal cities? In one game, my opponent landed in Finland and there was no local reaction at all. When the Russian player puts one foot in E. Prussia the buergermeisters form detachments in all the nearby cities.

Hi

Actually the Entente do get some activated units too, the Paris Defence force being one of them. The UK will deploy a Territorial Force unit if invaded, and the US have their National Guard.

The only free German unit that deploys in response to any Entente advances is the Berlin Landsturm Detachment.

What's probably more at issue here is that the Russian ones only deploy at a limited number of locations, Finland not being one of them. The Russians start with a Corps there but if it's moved away it's best to replace it with a newly raised Detachment.

Overall I think the number of free units like this should be limited, especially in a country like Finland which owed wasn't overly keen on remaining part of Russia, and would be the first to break away from the Empire once things started to go wrong. That's why while I did consider having one in Finland, I decided against it.

Bill

Are you sure about that? Whenever I take a dip into E. Prussia in the Vistula area, messages pop up saying detachments from those cities and towns deploy. There is one from Marienburg too. It is what makes an early Aug-Sept invasion of E. Prussia on that Vistula front so difficult with the few Russians units immediately at hand.

Ah, that is true because against the AI it will be different as it needs a helping hand, but in Multiplayer such units are very rare indeed.

Essentially I've left it pretty much to us the players to plan ahead, and if we leave places open then it's at our own risk.

Yes, I just did an AI turn and advanced both westward toward Koenigsberg and up the east bank of the Vistula. Four German detachments were auto mobilized on the next turn. The "Koenigsburg Landsturm Mobilized" pop up window appears, immediately followed by Marienberg, Danzig, and Gaudenz.

I am glad you confirmed that this doesn't happen during PBEM games as that was my primary concern. Glad that clears it up.