Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Unhandled exception w/ CMBO Demo

I am running XP Pro w/ GF4 Ti 4200 @ 1024X768 w/ a 100 refresh on a ViewSonic E90. I am using the 44.03 driver series. I got the game to run once. Now I get a dialog box saying "out of frequency range" on a black screen. Alt tab does nothing. Hitting enter takes me back to the desktop w/ the unhandled exception dialog box. Then I can send an error report to Microsoft. BTW I installed your recommended drivers with the same result. I also changed the refresh rate to 85...nothing.

Suggestions??

The refresh rate of your desktop means little to CM. It appears that you've selected a resolution and refresh rate for CM that your monitor can't handle. When you initially launch CM and there is no Prefs file, you will be prompted to select a resolution. The first resolution (and maximum) offered will be your current desktop resolution, but it will most likely be offered at a refresh rate higher than what your desktop is currently using. It may be offered at a refresh rate that your monitor can't handle (but your video driver can put out). Usually such high refresh rates will either result in a scrambled screen, a black screen or an on-screen warning from your monitor that you're "out of range".

If you just let CM sit for a bit (without hitting any keys) it should try a lower refresh rate (which may still be beyond your monitor's capability). Eventually a resolution and refresh rate combination that your monitor can support should be legible on the screen and you can select that (Enter key or "Select" button on screen).