Did the germans really favor so many AT guns

I've been playing mostly small scale quick battles, on small maps, I play americans and I usualy get about either 1 company or one and a half company depending on how much artillery I get. This last game I did not buy any artillery, relying on my standard mortars.

I did notise that the germans even in inf vs inf battles favore ALOT of AT guns and seem to be sacreficing manpower for it. Now the defenders have lett points but still I think if they didn't buy 8-10 AT guns they might have been able to have more infantry, I notise I often have twice the number of soldiers as the germans, but they have lots of AT guns, now at guns are great in open maps, but in small maps with lots of hedges and stuff, they aren't that good. and easy to take out with mortars.

So my question is, did the germans really favore having lots of AT guns?

my last QB the computer opponent had over half his force just sitting in his start zone till the end of game.

I had random on for my force selection, ended up with battalion of infantry with an attached mortar, 1 marder and 2 puma 2s

he was mostly armored and his start zone was a big field, needless to say I couldn't get near him with shreks and had to use a cease fire (had victory point but hadnt caused enough casualties), minor victory I think but pretty lame match.

Narsus - I had something similar happen to me in one early game. I was told that it can happen when the force size and map size selected for the QB do not match up - as the AI templates for what to do are map specific. I don't know if this was your issue, just passing along something I was told.