Is Enemy AI Disadvantaged by Spotting Limitation?

I really like the way that spotting works in CM2, but I wonder if it gives human players a distinct advantage over the enemy AI?

Although individual units now have limited spotting info compared to CM1, the human player can still see every spotted unit and act on that information. My question is this... can the enemy AI do the same?

In CM1 I remember area fire coming at me from a hidden HMG once I'd been spotted by other units on the map - can this still happen in CM2?

Actually - I've had a rethink...

This might be a fundamental limitation with any game attempting to simulate the WWII battlefield.

For instance... you certainly wouldn't want an enemy tank-hunter team legging it halfway across the map in order to engage one of your Sherman's when there was absolutely no way they could be aware of its existence.

But here's an idea that might solve this problem (but would it work?)...

The human player could be linked to the highest HQ on the map (almost as if he were roleplaying the HQ). So, only units within the chain of command would be under the player's control. Any unit falling out of contact would be left to its own initiative, and would have to be spotted by a friendly unit in order for the player to ascertain its location.

I think it is an interesting idea - but could a game work on these principles?