Mortar Fire - Out of Control?

Hi there

Still having problems controlling mortar fire. I understand what "Denied" means when I try to call for mortar fire, but I have had an HQ unit standing beside 2 mortar teams. One I am able to call fire for from that HQ, but the other says "Out of Control". Can anyone tell me what that means?

Dan

I'm guess the HQ's you got near your Mortar teams are a battalion HQ's yes they can direct your Mortar teams to fire or even direct their fire through the chain of command (platoon HQ calling in Mortar fire) but i think it says in the manual that you Battalion HQ, while being an HQ, isn't going to "micro-manage" (my term) very many units. Yes they are an HQ, however their not going to do everyone's jobs (to control the mortars through the chain of command using radios is the job of your weapons platoon HQ) ie. like them telling 2 or more mortar teams what to do, how to do it, when to do it, so on so forth. remember these are the higher ranking officers in your Battalion HQ's so their not going to want to get down and dirty so to speak, just to pick up the Platoon's HQ slack.

heres an example:

1st platoon needs mortar support on right flank

1st platoon spots for mortar fire & radios your 4th (weapons) platoon HQ the details(where to fire, how long to fire...) this only works if your 4th Pl. HQ is near your mortars.

4th platoon HQ relays firing instructions to mortars, then they fire on the target coordinates

then the process repeats until mortars are on target and complete the fire mission.

Hope this all helps and if I'm wrong please let me know.