Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

My first ever graphics problem!! :(

Guest Mike

I've had some trouble with my PC over het last week & finally got it fixed last night.

however my CMAK graphics are shot all to hell!! :(

the symptoms started as all the change-able text on the screen flickering very rapidly (ie the scores, morale & any othe text that might alter during the game), and the main screen being completely white, with a few vague shapes where vehicles should be.

The turn "played" properly apaprently - ie sound was OK (as far as I could tell) and the clock counted off the 60 seconds.

I did note that ricocheting shot seemed to be accurately depicted a few times too.

I reloaded CMAK, reapplied the 1.01 patch, and the symptoms changed - the flickering writing was OK and map landmark names were displayed OK, but the screen was still snow-white.

this game was set in hte desert on a fine day.

I loaded another PBEM game - set in the desert in a dust storm, and the whole map was "dust storm" coloured. There were definite 3-D rectangular shapes where trees and vehicles should be (I could scroll around and watch the recrangles change aspect).

I updated the video driver to the latest one from NVidia & it made no difference.

I'm using a nVidia GeForce 420 on a Win 98 SE Celeron 1300 PC with 380-odd MB Ram & have never had any problems with any CM-series game graphics before.

I have no mods loaded.

any help would be greatly appreciated!!

What version of DirectX do you have installed ? If you don't have the latest, you can download DirectX 9.0b here (it is 35Mb for this copy though).

What motherboard do you have ? Have you installed the chipset drivers for it (VIA, SiS, Intel, ALi, etc.) ?

What was the "problem" that you had and what exactly did you do to fix it ?

You may want to uninstall all of your video drivers, go back (temporarily) to the default SuperVGA and then reinstall the latest drivers (though you'll want to reinstall DirectX first).

The problem I had initially was a failure of Windows due to causes unknown.

Then when I had Windows going again, Outlook Express 6 wouldn't dial up, and when I was going through trouble shooting with my ISP & deleting all the communication software prior to installing it again Windows crapped out again - thsi time it was something to do with ZoneAlarm interfering with the setup of my ethernet card that connects to my cable modem - Windows started fine in Safe mode.

that was the problem that was finally fixed yesterday, so last night I was resetting my connection specs.

I have no idea what the MB is - a fairly generic one I suspect & I won't be able to check it until I get home tonight, so I'll check Direct X then too.

Ta.